In this Article
Self-acceptance or self-love is a key factor in developing healthy relationships. But there can be times when you might feel unhappy with yourself. It may be easier to love others most times than yourself because people tend to focus on their faults and get trapped in their insecurities rather than being happy about their talents. Concentrating too much on your supposed flaws can hamper your drive to self-love. However, with some deliberate practise and endurance, you can discover how to become comfortable with yourself and fall all over in love with yourself!
What is Self-Love?
Self-love is having total faith in oneself and believing in your own merits and strengths even when the world seems to be telling you something different. The belief that you matter and are important. Inner bonding is vital for loving yourself so that you don’t criticise yourself. And for inner bonding one must learn not only to accept oneself but also to forgive and develop respect for the kind of person one is deep within, beautiful and not-so-beautiful parts included.
Why Should You Love Yourself First?
Some of the benefits of self-love may include the following:
- It is vital to develop a healthy sense of self-worth and self-esteem so that you may feel positive about life.
- It can help you become more confident and provide you with the necessary strength to take on the worldly troubles with fortitude.
- Self-love can make you a happier person.
- When you love yourself, you are bound to take good care of yourself and make wiser and healthier choices in life.
- When you practise self-love, it may enable you to be more tolerant of your weaknesses and flaws thus promoting a healthier mindset.
- Self-love can generate self-trust which may help you carve an assured personal identity enhancing your creativity, spontaneity, and playfulness.
- Loving yourself can help you gain deeper access to your soul and put you on a spiritual path of enlightenment, inner peace, and stability.
- It can also contribute to improved work life as you won’t give in to the urge of beating yourself up for little mistakes and temporary setbacks.
- You may learn to take things in your stride, develop greater gratitude towards life and its blessings realising that life can be so simple and fun.
Simple Ways to Love and Embrace Yourself
It will take some patience on your part to love yourself and be happy. So here are some ways that may assist you in your journey to know yourself and improve your self-esteem:
1. Acknowledge Your Feelings
Be mindful of your feelings. Acknowledge your feelings but don’t be critical of them. Accept what you are feeling – don’t judge yourself. It is all about touching base with your inner self by moving towards your emotions instead of away from them by way of self-abandonment.
2. Focus on Yourself
You and you alone are responsible for your happiness. Always remember that nobody in the world has the right to hurt yourself or make you feel low unless you give them the authority to hurt you. So, make connections but don’t depend on people too much. Try and stay focused on yourself. Do the things you love and keep yourself happy.
3. Be Aware of Your False Beliefs
Focus on your inner self to learn about your reactions and behaviour. Understand the causes of your pain and resentment, whether it is a situation or a person. Ask your inner self what’s making you sad. Once you understand your self-damaging beliefs, you can think of ways to fight them.
4. Communicate with Your Inner Self
Connecting with your higher self may be the key which opens the door of learning to love yourself. It may help you get answers in the form of images, dreams or words which can come instantly or over time.
5. List Out All the Good Things About Yourself
Tell yourself all the things that you like about yourself. It may help you realise just how unique and spectacular you are! Look into the mirror and see your potential. You got to show some love and kindness to yourself first and foremost.
6. Don’t Run After Perfection
You need to discard the idea of being perfect and accept yourself just the way you are. You need to come to terms with the peaceful sense of being by processing life as it exists rather than as you may want it to be.
7. Take Tangible Steps to Learn
You have propelled yourself into getting acquainted with your feelings by initiating a dialogue with your inner self thus positioning yourself for spiritual guidance. So, the next step is to undertake loving actions that may start the healing process. Ask yourself what can you do to self-love instead of how can you feel self-love.
8. Stop Seeking Approval
Stop worrying about what people think of you. Repeat to yourself that you are not answerable to anyone. You are not required to follow others and can perfectly do things your way – on your terms.
9. Remove Toxicity from Your Life
Surround yourself with people who nurture and support you while distancing yourself from all those who try to bring you down. It is essential to know your worth and fill your life with people who inspire, motivate, and respect you. Move away from thoughts and activities that drain you towards things which fulfil and empower you.
10. Bury Your Past
Confront the dark phases or demons of your life. And then work to banish the unpleasant with the light of forgiveness. Try and accept that occasionally good people can make the wrong choices. But it doesn’t make the person bad. You are only human.
11. Prepare Yourself for Future Mistakes
Mistakes are destined to happen. But that shouldn’t deter you from striving to live a meaningful life. The fear of committing mistakes or taking wrong decisions shouldn’t push you into non-action state or procrastination.
12. Express Gratitude for Life
Count your blessings every day. Events or things may not happen as per your wish every day, but remember that you still have basic necessities of life. There may be many people who must envy your position and place in life. Take control of your life, show appreciation for what you have and use hindrances as motivation to do better.
13. Explore New Ideas
Invest your time and effort in discovering activities and opportunities which may stimulate happiness and productivity. Make every day of your life count by doing something worthwhile.
14. Trust Your Intuition
Tune yourself to listen to your inner voice for it may become your guiding light to lead an honest and authentic life. Have faith in your abilities for confidence comes when you know that you are doing something right for your growth. You may then realise that nothing is impossible! You simply need to trust that you are deserving of it.
15. Evaluate Your Action
Assess from time to time whether the loving actions that you have started are benefitting and advancing the healing or not. If not, you may want to retrace your steps and make an effort to discover what actions can bring peace and joy.
Inspirational Self Love Quotes That Will Make You Strong
Some inspirational self-love quotes which can help you remain strong are:
- “Until you value yourself, you won’t value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it.” – M. Scott Peck
- “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” – Lucille Ball
- “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection” – Buddha
- “Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval.” – Mark Twain
- “Low self-esteem is like driving through life with your hand-break on.” – Maxwell Maltz
- “Self-care is never a selfish act—it is simply good stewardship of the only gift I have, the gift I was put on earth to offer to others.” – Parker Palmer
- “Why should we worry about what others think of us, do we have more confidence in their opinions than we do our own?” – Brigham Young
- “Don’t waste your energy trying to change opinions … Do your thing, and don’t care if they like it.” – Tina Fey
- “Once you embrace your value, talents and strengths, it neutralizes when others think less of you.” – Rob Liano
- “One of the greatest regrets in life is being what others would want you to be, rather than being yourself.” – Shannon L. Alder
- “To accept ourselves as we are means to value our imperfections as much as our perfections.” – Sandra Bierig
- “To establish true self-esteem, we must concentrate on our successes and forget about the failures and the negatives in our lives.” – Denis Waitley
- “I don’t want everyone to like me; I should think less of myself if some people did.” – Henry James
- “Don’t ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” – Howard Washington Thurman
- “It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.” – Sir Edmund Hillary
- ”If you don’t love yourself, nobody will. Not only that, you won’t be good at loving anyone else. Loving starts with the self.” – Wayne Dyer
Some frequently asked questions are:
1. How Can I Prevent Other People from Bringing Me Down?
It can be quite hurtful when someone tries to put you down. But avoid reacting immediately. You may end up doing something more regretful. Also, it reinforces bad behaviour. By responding you may give the person what he wants, a reaction from you. Try and remain calm by taking a few deep breaths. It may be best to ignore it and not waste your energy and time on such worthless action.
2. Why Do I Find it So Hard to Love Myself?
You may find it hard because at times society and people around us create impressions that can make you think less of yourself. But the kind of relationship you build with yourself may become a defining feature of how you view the world and people. If you are unsatisfied with yourself, you are likely to be angry, frustrated, and irritable in your usual conduct. But if you are accepting of your ways and are kind to yourself, you may find your other interactions fruitful as well.
3. Can I Love Myself Unconditionally?
A person is generally his own biggest critic. It may not be effortless to love oneself unconditionally. But it is unquestionably very important to love yourself for self-love is a potent key to create a fulfilled, passionate and joyful life.
Loving yourself may be one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself. It means honouring your limitations, being aware of your needs, respecting your dreams and desire to put yourself first. It also means giving priority to your health and aspirations for only if you are happy and fulfilled from inside, you can spread that happiness around.