10 Home Remedies for Whiteheads
Whiteheads, also known as closed comedones, are enlarged hair follicles clogged with skin oils, bacteria, and cells. Whiteheads develop when the pores on the skin get clogged with dirt, sebum, and dead skin cells. Whiteheads may also develop because of several other reasons but the good thing is that they can be treated. There are some home remedies that you can try to get rid of pesky whiteheads.
Causes of Whiteheads
Along with blocked pores, there are many other reasons why you may have whiteheads. Mentioned below are some of the reasons that may lead to the development of whiteheads:
- Too much sebum production
- Taking birth control pills
- Eating greasy food
- Hormonal changes that take place during puberty, menstruation, and pregnancy
- Living in an extremely humid environment
Home Remedies for Whiteheads
Home remedies are perhaps the easiest and the most affordable way to get rid of whiteheads. Here are a few natural remedies for whiteheads that will help treat and prevent whiteheads:
Honey is known for its antibacterial properties and it can help clear pores. If you have whiteheads on nose, you can easily get rid of them with honey.
- Honey – 1 tbsp
- Heat the honey for about 15 minutes or until it is slightly warm.
- Wash your face then apply warm honey on your face.
- Leave it on your face for about 15 minutes then rinse off with cold water.
- You can try this remedy daily.
2. Sugar Scrub
Sugar is an exfoliating agent and can help get rid of the dirt settled in the pores without drying out your skin. However, sugar scrub should be used gently as it may harm your skin.
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Honey – 1 tbsp
- Mix the two ingredients together and use it to exfoliate your skin.
- Leave it on on your face for about five minutes then rinse off.
- Use this scrub at least once or twice a week.
3. Rose Water
With the ability to cleanse the pores and balance the pH levels of the skin, rose water is a must-have product in your skincare routine. It can also help soothe the skin.
- Rose water – 1 tbsp
- A cotton pad or a spray bottle
- Take some rose water on a cotton pad and use it on the affected areas.
- Alternatively, you can use a spray bottle and spray the rose water on the affected area.
- Try this remedy twice a day.
Cinnamon helps in the production of collagen which helps facilitate regeneration of the skin. The antimicrobial properties of cinnamon help reduce whiteheads and can help treat acne.
- Cinnamon powder – 1 tsp
- Oat flour – 1 tsp
- Mix the ingredients to form a thick paste.
- Apply on face and leave for about fifteen minutes.
- Rinse with cold water.
- Try this remedy three times a week.
5. Gram Flour
Gram flour is often used for the face as it helps cleanse the skin and acts as a good exfoliator.
- Gram flour – 2 tsp
- Yoghurt – 2 tsp
- Mix the two ingredients together to form a paste.
- Apply this paste on your face and allow it to dry for about five minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Try this remedy thrice a week.
6. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has anti-microbial properties, which help reduce the levels of acne-causing bacteria on the skin. It can also help fight whiteheads.
- Tea tree oil – 4 drops
- Wet a cotton pad with water.
- Pour some tree tea oil on it and apply it on the affected areas.
- Later rinse.
- Note: always use diluted tea tree oil.
Turmeric has antibacterial and antiseptic properties. It helps prevent whiteheads from getting inflamed and turning into acne.
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Neem powder – 1 tsp
- Mix the three ingredients together to form a paste.
- Apply the paste on your face or on the affected areas.
Leave it on for about 15 minutes then rinse with cold water.
Applying oatmeal can help open up pores by absorbing the oil and acting as a gentle exfoliant.
- Powdered oatmeal – 1 tbsp
- Take the oatmeal in a bowl and add the water and mix it well to form a paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected areas and leave it on for about 10 minutes.
- Wet your fingers and remove the mask gently, rubbing in circular motions.
- Do this twice a week.
9. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel is known to have the ability to open the pores as it is an astringent.
- Witch hazel astringent – 2-3 drops
- A cotton pad
- Take some witch hazel astringent on a cotton pad and apply it on the affected area.
- Try this remedy twice a day.
To get rid of whiteheads, you can also try facial steaming. Steaming is one of the most effective methods of cleansing the pores since it can open them up and loosen the dirt and oil stuck inside.
- A towel
- Bring water to a boil in a container.
- Position your face over the container and cover it with a towel to trap the steam inside.
- Allow your skin to soak in the steam for around five minutes.
- Do this three times in one sitting.
- Do this twice a week until you see results, then it should be done only once a week.
Tips to Prevent Whiteheads
Here are some tips that you may find helpful if you want to reduce the formation of whiteheads:
- Choose your skincare products wisely and avoid anything with dyes or fragrance in it. Use products that are oil-free as they are less likely to clog your pores.
- Avoid going to polluted areas. If you have no other option but to go to such a place, make sure that you cleanse your face well when you return home.
- Do not sleep with makeup on and make sure that you cleanse and moisturise your face before going to bed. At night, your skin heals the best, so give it something good to work with.
- When the weather is humid, make an effort to cleanse your skin well.
- When exfoliating or cleansing the skin, be gentle.
- Do not use any hair products on your face as they are not formulated for your face.
- Make sure you clean your face well before trying any of the remedies mentioned above as these remedies will not work if your skin already has a layer of dirt on it.
If you constantly face this problem of whiteheads, try these simple home remedies. Treatment and prevention of severe whiteheads is possible and these measures can help. However, if your skin irritates after trying any of the above remedies, do not try it again and consult a doctor. You can also check with doctor before trying any of these remedies to be on the safe side!
Effective Home Remedies to Remove Facial Hair at Home
Natural Ways to Remove Dead Skin from Face & Body at Home
DIY Ways to Get Away With Skin Pigmentation