Last Updated on
Smartphones are the need of the hour and most of us cannot do without our phones even for a few hours, let alone an entire day. This means we take our device everywhere with us, be it to a doctor’s clinic, our workplace, the grocery store and other such places; and sometimes, even to the bathroom. This means that it comes in contact with dirt, germs, and grime all the time. We may not realise it but our smartphone screen may sometimes become a harbour for various kinds of bacteria or viruses if it is not cleaned properly and regularly. We must take careful measures while cleaning our phone as mishandling while cleaning may sometimes damage the phone and affect its functioning.
How to Clean Your Smartphone Screen at Home
So you have smudges, fingerprints and other kinds of marks all over your phone. Well, here are some effective ways of cleaning your smartphone screen at home:
- The first and foremost thing that you need to do is to find a soft cloth, preferably a microfibre cloth. This cloth is very soft and gentle on the screen and does not scratch the screen. Keep a bowl of raw rice or a few packs of silica gel handy. Fill a spray bottle with distilled water; you can mix some vinegar in it for a better cleaning effect. Add some cotton buds or cotton balls.
- Before you begin cleaning your device, it is important that it is switched off.
- Take the microfibre cloth and gently wipe the screen to get rid of the marks and smudges. Do not press too hard on your device; exert gentle pressure.
- If there are some tough marks, you may spray some distilled water on the microfibre cloth and gently remove the stains. However, for tougher stains, a vinegar-and-water solution can be used.
- You may remove the excess wetness by wiping with a clean microfibre cloth or leave your phone to dry on its own.
- Refrain from switching on your phone until it dries off completely. Once it is nice and dry, switch on your device and it will be ready for use.
What to Avoid While Cleaning a Smartphone Screen
Cleaning a smartphone screen is not a tedious task; however, it is important that you take certain precautions and avoid making certain mistakes while cleaning to avoid any damage to your device. Here are some things that you should strictly avoid:
- Do not use hard pressure or jerky movements while cleaning the screen of your mobile. Doing this may cause permanent scratches or marks on your mobile screen, and getting rid of or cleaning mobile screen scratches is something that is next to impossible.
- Do not use excessive amounts of water to clean your phone. Lots of water will not make your phone cleaner. Instead, take some water and dampen the microfibre cloth with it and use the cloth to clean the screen. Do not spray any liquid directly on your phone screen as the excess moisture may enter your device and may damage it.
- Refrain from using abrasive materials such as tissues, towels, etc., to clean the screen of your phone. Using such abrasive materials can cause small scratches to appear on your device, which may make the screen appear dull. There are specially designed types of cloth, such as microfibre cloth, available to clean delicate surfaces like a phone screen; you must use such materials for cleaning purposes.
- Do not use harsh chemicals like alcohol-based cleaners, ammonia, etc., for cleaning your smartphone screen. Such liquids can cause permanent damage to your device. Though most of the time cleaning with a soft cloth does the trick, if at all any liquid is required, try using water instead of any other liquid.
- Do not use hair dryers for drying up the phone; rather leave it to dry on its own. Exposing your phone to high temperatures may adversely affect the internal parts of the phone. Also, never put your phone inside a microwave oven to dry as this could cause serious consequences.
Some common questions on how to clean a cell phone touch screen:
1. Can I Use Toothpaste to Clean My Phone Screen?
Yes, you can use toothpaste to clean your mobile screen. Take a very small amount of toothpaste on a microfibre cloth and gently rub the screen in circular motions. Wipe using a fresh cloth; however, if any toothpaste marks stay on the screen, wipe them off with a damp cloth.
2. Can I Use Lens Cleaner to Clean My Mobile’s Screen?
Lens cleaner may not be an ideal option to clean the screen of your phone; however, you can dab some solution on a soft microfibre cloth and clean your phone with it. Make sure that you do not apply the cleaner directly on the phone.
3. How Do I Disinfect My Phone Screen?
You may disinfect your phone by using an antibacterial wipe or a non-alcohol-based hand sanitiser. Take a small amount of the gel on a soft cloth and gently clean the screen of your phone.
4. How Do I Get Oil Off My Smartphone Screen?
Dampen a microfibre cloth with the water-and-alcohol mix, and gently wipe off the oil from the screen. Do not rub vigorously as it may harm your phone screen.
We hope you will take note of all the above-mentioned tips and suggestions while cleaning your mobile screen. However, make sure you never use an excess amount of liquid while cleaning your phone. If any liquid enters your phone, do not switch it on and rush to your nearest service centre.