Having a dog or cat as a pet is quite common these days. People who have dogs or cats as their pets usually know how to take care of them and what to feed them. But if you have fish as a pet, we know you will want to know everything you can to take the best care of them. Fish are usually content with fresh and clean water, a big tank with water plants in it to swim freely, and store-bought fish food. Still, some people who adore their fish like to go the extra mile and make food for fish at home. If you want to give homemade food to your fish, we have some recipes that you can try.
Advantages of Making Fish Food at Home
You can always give store-bought food to your fish, but making food for your fish at home has some advantages to it –
- The dry flakes that you buy for your fish from shops undergo many treatments, which is why they turn flaky and last long. This means that there are always chemical preservatives present in the food. But when you make food for your fish at home, you know it will be fresh and healthy.
- By making food for your fish at home, you can save a lot of money. Most of the food that we usually throw away can be eaten by fish. So make a habit of saving it – you can use it for making food for your fish.
- When you make food for your fish at home, you have the freedom to get your fish the best ingredients.
- You can control the number of nutrients to include in their diets and even cater to their specific needs.
Types of Foods That You Can Give to Your Fish
Fish enjoy a variety of foods. Some fish are herbivores, some omnivores, and others are carnivores. Depending on the type of fish you have, you will need to prepare the food. Most fish are omnivorous and can thrive on a diet containing veggies and seafood. Here are different types of food that can be used to make your fish food:
- Fresh seafood
- Organs and meat (with no fats)
- Spinach and lettuce
- Root vegetables, broccoli, and carrots
- Small quantities of fruits
- Flour and corn
- Raw eggs
Homemade Food for Fish – Recipes You Can Try
Here are some homemade fish food recipes that you can try. Try these recipes and feed the best food to your fish.
1. No-cook Fish Food
As the name suggests, this recipe requires no cooking. Here’s how you can make food for your fish without much hassle.
- Peas – 75g
- Spinach – 75g
- Cucumber – 75g
- Cod – 75g
- Shrimp – 75g
- Gelatine – 268g
How to Make
- Chop all the ingredients into very small pieces, then grind them together to make a paste. Add some water.
- Make the gelatine mix in a separate container then add it to the puree. Mix well.
- Pour the mix in ice cube trays and let freeze.
- Use when needed.
2. Vegetarian Fish Food
Make vegetarian food for the cute herbivores in your aquarium. They will love it!
- Spinach – 136g
- Cucumber – 136g
- Frozen peas – 136g
- Unflavoured gelatine – 268g
- Oats – 136g
How to Make
- Blanch all the vegetables and allow them to cool.
- Blend the vegetables to form a puree.
- Add the oats and blend again.
- In a bowl, take the gelatine and add hot water to it and mix well.
- Add the gelatine to the vegetable puree.
- Store in ice cube trays.
3. Standard Fish Food
This is the most common homemade fish food that you can make for your pet fish.
- Garlic – 68g
- Vegetables (spinach, broccoli florets, cauliflower florets) – 408g
- Unsweetened gelatine mix – 268g
- Water – 1 cup
- Seafood – 68g
- Fish vitamins – one drop
How to Make
- Chop the vegetables then boil or steam them. Allow them to cool.
- Take the boiled vegetables in a grinder, add the seafood and garlic to it, then blend to form a puree.
- Add the vitamin drop to it.
- Make the gelatine then add it to the pureed mixture.
- Transfer it into the ice cube trays and freeze.
4. Meat Fish Food
Homemade meet food is for carnivorous fish. It is full of protein and is good for fish.
- White fish – 136g
- Shrimp – 136g
- Vegetables (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower) – 136g
- Gelatine – 268g
How to Make
- Cut the veggies then boil them.
- Later blend the vegetables to form a puree.
- Blend the white fish and shrimp.
- Make the gelatine then mix pureed vegetables, pureed meat, and gelatine.
- Store in ice cube trays and use when needed.
5. Protein Fish Food
Here is a recipe of a protein-rich food that you can make for your omnivorous fish.
- Salmon – 200 g
- Raw shrimp (without tail) – 1000g
- Frozen peas – 500g
- Spinach – 500g
- Carrots – 300g
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Gelatine – 544 g
How to Prepare
- Cut the vegetables and seafood and blend them together to get a smooth paste.
- Take two litres of water in a pan and add the gelatine to it. Mix well.
- Add the pureed mix to it.
- Heat the mixture on a low flame for about 45 minutes or until cooked.
- Turn off the heat once it is cooked and let it cool for sometime.
- Transfer the food into ice cube trays.
How to Store Homemade Fish Food
Homemade fish food is usually stored in ice cube trays. The frozen food can then be transferred to an airtight container and used as needed. If stored properly, the frozen fish food can last for a year.
Can You Give Human Food to Fish?
You can give a few bites of human food to your fish. The ingredients you use to make food for yourself can be given to fish. Vegetables like carrots, peas, or broccoli can be used to make food for fish. Even meats can be utilized if you are making homemade food for a betta fish, which is mainly carnivorous in nature. Whatever you choose to give your fish, just remember to not use any ingredient that has been cooked with masala or spices as it may not agree with your fish and can make them sick. Fresh ingredients should be used when making food for your fish at home. You can use raw or leftover food to make food for your fish. For omnivorous fish like goldfish, you can use various vegetables as well as seafood and a little meat.
When making food for your fish at home, first, consider the type of fish that you have. Once you know what type of food your fish eats, you will be able to make your own fish food at home.