In Ayurveda, milk is known to hold a special place because of its exceptional nutritional properties. There are diverse views about when to have milk – morning or night? Milk taken in the morning provides the proteins you require during the day and milk at night provides good rest as it induces sleep. Though drinking milk should be preferred at night, consuming milk is mandatory for its protein and calcium content.
Should You Start Your Day With Milk?
Most people start drinking milk in the morning from the days of infancy and continue the habit till adulthood and beyond. It can undoubtedly give a perfect beginning to the day, but if you go by the opinion of medical experts, they hold a contrary opinion on it.
Benefits of Drinking Milk in the Morning (Pros)
It is essential to weigh the pros of drinking milk in the morning or afternoon. Here they are:
- A glass of milk along with cereal is the most nutritious way to start the day.
- Milk is packed with nutrients like potassium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, protein and vitamins.
- Fibre-rich food like oatmeal and eggs are a good option to begin the day as these are lighter to digest and keep you satiated.
Disadvantages of Drinking Milk in the Morning (Cons)
Some of the cons of drinking milk in the morning are:
- It becomes a heavy meal to begin the day with a glass of milk with cereal.
- Loads of nutrients along with accompaniments make the first meal heavy.
- The digestive system has to face difficulty in digesting a heavy meal and may cause stomach ache.
The above-mentioned pros and cons help us to deduce that it would be a good idea to not drink milk in the morning.
Is Night-time Milk Drinking a Good Idea?
Most medical experts are of the opinion that it is not a good idea to enforce a heavy task on the digestive system in the morning and so to avoid taking milk in the morning.
Benefits of Drinking Milk at Night-time (Pros)
Some benefits include:
- It comprises of many benefits for good health apart from the two neurotransmitters.
- The sleeping cycle remains undisturbed as it keeps you satiated through the night and keeps the pangs of hunger away.
- It relaxes the muscles and fights the tensions collected in the brain.
- There are also benefits of drinking milk at night for the skin to remain youthful.
Disadvantages of Drinking Milk at Night-time (Cons)
The cons of drinking milk at night are:
- Milk taken empty stomach causes more harm than good.
- Lactose intolerant people can face bloating or abdominal pain.
- It increases the insulin level of the body.
- Milk in the morning is not good for clear skin.
Delicious, affordable, nutritious and a reliable product, milk is recommended worldwide. Keeping good health in perspective, there are some questions often asked by people.
1. What Is the Best Time to Drink Milk During Pregnancy?
Pregnancy is a critical time when the growth of the baby matters the most. It is advised by health experts to avoid milk after any meal. Warm milk with honey can be taken at night for a good quality of sleep. It also regulates the optimum level of blood sugar. It also depends on the personal requirement of the expectant mother. Drinking milk twice a day is recommended for those would-be moms.
2. What Is Best Time to Drink Milk to Gain Weight?
In order to gain weight, milk is an important nutrient-rich food. The calcium, protein, vitamins, and carbohydrates are excellent means of gaining weight and building muscles. Therefore, such people who are aspiring to gain weight can include milk to their diet throughout the day. In order to gain weight safely and effectively, consuming different kinds of calorific foods is required and milk consumed in a variety of ways can easily make it possible.
Drinking a glass or two of low-fat milk is a sure shot way of increasing muscle mass growth. Milk is often termed as a complete food and is an intrinsic part of a person’s diet. In Ayurveda, milk occupies a special place and it is supposed to be consumed at specific time phases. For better benefits according to Ayurveda, milk should be taken with tonic such as ashwagandha as it induces good sleep, and milk with triphala improves eyesight.