7 Effective Yoga Asanas That Provide Relief from Acidity
Acidity is common in people who have unhealthy eating habits. When the level of acid in the stomach increases, it causes hyperacidity. Sometimes, the acid may flow backwards from the stomach to the oesophagus, which may cause acid reflux.
How Does Yoga Help Cure Acidity?
The stomach produces hydrochloric acid that aids in digestion. The acid not only helps in breaking down and digesting the food we eat but also kills germs that enter the stomach along with the food. Acidity is the increase in the amount of this acid. Yoga is the best exercise to cure this problem. Yoga exercise for acidity is highly recommended by doctors nowadays. Yoga cures acidity in the following ways:
- It helps increases circulation in the stomach and intestine and improves digestion.
- Yoga stimulates bowel movements and reduces the formation of gas.
- It helps reduce the stress that causes acidity.
- Yoga helps strengthen the digestive system.
Yoga Poses for Acid Reflux Relief
Here are some yoga asanas that you can do to get quick relief from acidity.
1. Kapalabhati Pranayama
This asana is good for curing obesity, stomach disorder, digestive disorder and many other disorders related to the stomach.
- Sit on the floor and keep your legs folded. Close your eyes and keep your spine straight.
- Keep your left palm on the left knee and the right palm on the right knee.
- Take a deep breath. For your stomach to go deep inside exhale with force.
- Try to think that your disorders are coming out from your nose when you exhale with a sort of hissing sound.
- Try not to stress on inhaling. Inhaling should never involve a lot of effort. You can increase your time from 15 to 30 minutes.
- Do not do this very fast. The speed should be medium.
- It will improve the functions of the respiratory system, especially the lungs.
- It will cure erectile dysfunction and will improve the functions of the reproductive system.
- It will improve the function of the pancreas by helping to produce the hormone insulin naturally.
- It cleans the internal system and removes toxins from the body.
- It brings stability to your mind and calms you down.
- It is really effective for weight loss.
Halasana is known as the plough pose since “Hala” means “plough” and “asana” means “pose” in Sanskrit.
- Lie down on your back. Keep your legs joined together and relax your entire body. This pose is called Shavasana.
- Place your palm flat on the ground and breathe normally.
- When you exhale, press the palm and raise both the legs. Next, attempt to lower them behind your head.
- Hold the posture for a few minutes and breathe slowly.
- Now, return to the Shavasana posture.
- Repeat the same process for 3-5 times.
- This asana helps improve digestion.
- It is very effective for weight loss.
- This pose is good for strengthening the abdominal muscles.
- Diabetic people can do it regularly as it is very advantageous for them.
- This pose also helps strengthen the spinal cord and make it more flexible.
- The symptoms of menopause are cured.
- Stress can be reduced.
This pose is also known as the camel pose as “ushtra” means “camel”. This is very good for back problems, blood circulation, and the nervous system.
- Sit on your knees and bend backwards.
- Hold your right heel or ankle with your right hand and the left heel or ankle with the left hand.
- Bend your head and neck backwards and push your waist a little forward.
- After 6-10 seconds in the posture, your breathing will be back to normal.
- After a few seconds return to the first position. Take your hands away from the heels.
- Repeat the same process for some more time.
- It will help increase the capacity of lungs and chest size.
- Your abdomen, chest, and neck will feel more flexible.
- It will help stimulate the organs in the abdomen.
- Asthma patients find this very beneficial as it improves the function of the respiratory system.
- It will help cure problems of the neck, shoulders, and back.
- The functions of the thyroid glands are stimulated.
- Blood circulation to the brain is also increased.
4. Bhastrika Pranayama
In Sanskrit, the word Bhastrika means bellows. This exercise resembles the blowing of bellows.
- Sit on a yoga mat. If you are not able to sit on the ground, then you could also sit on the chair as this exercise is related to breathing.
- Inhale deeply through your nostrils and fill your lungs with air. When you exhale, do it with a hissing sound.
- Exhale completely and inhale very deeply.
- Do the same exercise for a maximum of five minutes, and you will be able to see the result in a few days.
- It helps improve blood circulation in the body.
- This asana prevents heart-related problems.
- This asana relaxes the body and mind, and it also helps improve your concentration.
- It helps strengthen the lungs.
- This asana can provide relief from hypertension and stress-related depression.
- It is a good cure for obesity and arthritis.
- It also cures headaches, asthma, migraine, depression, neurological problems, and gastric problems.
This is a very simple asana that can be practised after having lunch or dinner. Vajrasana is also called the “diamond pose” which is an amazing way to practice meditation and breathing exercise. You could try this yoga for hyperacidity.
- Sit down on a yoga mat. Bend your knees and sit on your buttocks.
- Close your eyes and make sure your spine is straight.
- Keep your left palm on the left knee and the right palm on the right knee.
- Slowly inhale, then exhale.
- When you exhale, imagine your disorders and problems slowly going out through your nose.
- Stay in this position for 5 minutes, then take rest. You could also increase your time to 15 minutes.
- It helps calm the mind.
- This exercise is a cure for constipation, acidity, and helps increase the digestion process.
- People who have gas problems can consider doing this exercise right after lunch and dinner.
- Stomach disorders and urinary problems are also cured.
- It helps improve blood circulation.
- It helps reduce obesity.
- It is also a good painkiller for arthritis patients.
This is known as the wind removing pose. It is very beneficial to cure poor digestion and gas problems. This is one of the best yoga for acidity.
- Keep your legs straight and lie flat on your back and relax. Breathe rhythmically and deeply.
- Lift your legs and bend them while inhaling slowly. Bring your legs towards your chest till the thighs come in contact with your stomach.
- Hug your knees and lock your hands.
- With the tip of your nose, try to touch your knees. This might not be easy the first time, but with constant practice, you will be able to do this. Remain in the same position for half a minute.
- Now come back to the original position while exhaling slowly.
- This exercise is good for curing constipation and acid indigestion.
- Pavanamuktasana is really good for all the organs in the abdomen.
- Regular practice can cure gastrointestinal problems.
- It is really helpful for people with gas problems, arthritis pain, acidity, waist pain, and heart problems.
- It is good for strengthening the back muscles and curing back pain.
- It gives you a flat stomach.
- The exercise is good for the reproductive organs and menstruation disorder.
7. Anulom Vilom
This pranayama is very effective for purifying the body and mind. When you perform this exercise regularly, your body is provided with energy, and it releases anxiety and stress. It should always be practised in the morning with an empty stomach.
- Sit comfortably either on the flat ground or on a chair. Where you sit does not matter since this is a breathing exercise.
- Now use your right thumb to close your right nostril and breath in with the left nostril. Next, close your left nostril using your ring and middle finger and exhale through the right nostril.
- Again, inhale deeply through the right nostril and then close the right nostril and exhale deeply through the left nostril. Repeat this process.
- Do the same exercise for 5-10 minutes.
- Keep in mind that your lungs should be used when you breathe and not your nostrils.
- The exercise is good for improving blood circulation.
- This asana helps relax the mind and the body.
- When you regularly practice this exercise, it cleanses, tones, and strengthens the nervous system.
- The functions of your lungs are improved.
- It is good for preventing diabetes, and it keeps your diabetes under control.
- It is good for relieving depression and hypertension.
- Problems like asthma, headache, neurological problems, migraine, depression, heart blockage, and gastric problems can be cured.
You could try these yoga poses for acid reflux relief and to reduce hypertension and stress. Perform these yoga asanas every day, and you will be able to see the changes very soon.