In this Article
The entire duration of your pregnancy exposes you to a variety of information about your own body, allowing you to come to terms with the changes that have taken place in the entire period. However, there are a bunch of other changes that occur after delivery of the child as well. Many mothers experience pain in their hips even after surgery and discover that the weird wobbly feeling in the knees persists, even after the baby is out of their womb. Joint pain after giving birth is yet another persistent and acute pain that can make one feel old all of a sudden.
What Causes Post Delivery Joint Pain?
Some common causes of joint pain after delivery are:
- The primary reason most mothers face acute joint pain post delivery is the weight gain that occurs during the pregnancy. The baby’s weight keeps increasing throughout the pregnancy and the body tries its best to carry the weight around. The pain is the result of the body coming to terms with the completion of the delivery.
- Certain mothers are more susceptible to joint pain post pregnancy due to problems such as chronic pain and arthritis. This further adds to the joint pain.
- If you have been suffering previously from conditions such as injuries in the joint and tailbone related pain, these can translate into extreme joint pain after delivery of the baby.
- There are hormones that are secreted during pregnancy and delivery that are important for the safety of the mother and the baby. These hormones cause the body ligaments to relax, allowing the mother to carry the baby’s weight around and undertake a successful delivery. Once the delivery is complete, the ligaments require some time to return to their original position. This, consequentially, results in joint pain.
- If a woman does not undertake regular exercise during pregnancy, or if she faces issues related to health or injuries that prevent her from undertaking exercises, their risk of experiencing joint pain after delivery is quite high.
How Long Does it Take to Recover from Joint Pain after Childbirth?
As with any kind of recovery, the time duration to return back to a good state highly depends upon the health of a person. On a general level, joint related pains last for a bunch of weeks or so. In certain extreme cases, they have been known to last for 4-6 months as well. If a mother has had a good pregnancy along with a healthy delivery and can return back to a proper eating habit and dietary recommendations paired with a proper exercise structure, their chances of recovering from the pain are higher. With better care post delivery and addressing previous conditions of injuries and health, this time duration can be further reduced.
While nursing the baby, care needs to be taken to maintain proper breastfeeding posture, not lifting the baby from a very low position, holding the baby comfortably, and for shorter periods of time. Not taking care of these can aggravate the joint pains and cause sacroiliac joint pain after pregnancy.
There is no specific postpartum joint pain treatment process as such. But certain measures and remedies can help reduce the pain to a good level.
- Undertake light exercises on a regular basis. These do not have to be formal exercises since the key is to keep your body active. This is elementary in controlling joint pain. Exercises that do not put pressure on the joints should be preferred, such as swimming. In any case, it is best to have a consultation with an expert before adhering to any exercise schedule.
- One can resort to the classic hot and cold technique to take care of the pain. Making use of hot water bags, going for a hot water bath in a tub, using ice packs to alleviate the pain in the joints can bring gradual relief. In any case, do not use hot bags or ice packs directly on the naked skin. Wrap them in a towel and then apply it to the area that hurts.
- Nothing beats a fantastic body massage. Massage your joints yourself or hire an expert who can give you a great massage. You may use certain oils or ointments that are known to control joint pain and can also lubricate the massage process.
- There have been cases where certain women have found great relief from joint pain by resorting to techniques of acupuncture. These may be done right at home if you are well-versed with them. Else, it is always recommended to take your doctor’s or an expert’s advice.
All the pains and aches that occur after delivery are all part of the natural process that happen throughout pregnancy. The body has undergone a huge change in 9 months and extreme conditions throughout pregnancy. Once you give it good time to recover, balancing relaxation and activity in the right manner, the pains will start subsiding and bring you relief. In case the pain worsens or you start observing changes in your body that you haven’t seen before, get in touch with your doctor to rule out any postpartum complications or get better advice for the pain.
Also Read: Postpartum Back Pain