Last Updated on
A good posture can do wonders for your personality and give you that sexy swagger! It can also minimise muscle tensions and get you looking younger. All the more reason to improve your bearing by including simple body posture exercises in your workout regime.
Did you know that the wrong posture can affect your digestive system and cause unexplained aches and pains? Your mom’s commands of ‘stand up straight’ and ‘don’t slouch!’ were more than just nagging; they were practical. The good news is that you can easily improve your bearing by engaging in some exercises for good posture. Do them every day and you’ll soon see a marked difference in your stance.
Easy Exercises to Improve Posture
1. Back pain relieving exercise
This is one of the best ways to improve your posture, especially if you spend long hours sitting down at work.
- Sit on the floor with your legs folded under you.
- Raise yourself on your knees.
- Pull out your right leg, bend it at the knee and place it 90 degrees with the ground.
- Place your hands behind your head and push your left hip forward.
- Stay like this for 30 seconds.
- Repeat with the other leg and continue doing this for several reps.
2. Shoulder stretching exercise
Second on our list of best posture exercises is the shoulder stretching workout to relieve tension in your shoulders caused by working long hours on the computer or driving your kids to school, activity classes and the park.
- Stand straight with your legs apart.
- Stretch your arms to keep them parallel to the ground.
- Make sure that your palms are facing forward and shoulder blades are drawn together as you bend your elbows at 90-degree angles.
- With your hands and arms, start making small circles backwards.
- Once you get the rhythm, repeat and progress to swaying sideways.
3. Chin gliding exercise
This exercise eases strain in your neck muscles. Maybe you’ve been spending too much time taking calls with the phone cradled on your neck. Or maybe your little one decided to hog the bed and let his mommy sleep in an awkward position. Whatever the case, neck strain can be debilitating so knowing how to relieve it is important.
- Sit or stand straight and relax your shoulders.
- Without tilting your head, glide your neck backwards till you feel tension in the muscles.
- Stay like this for five seconds and release.
- Repeat it four to five times and do it whenever your neck feels strained.
4. Pelvis tilting exercise
Strong pelvic muscles provide good support to the spine. This short workout can strengthen them and help improve your posture.
- Stand straight and relax your hips so that your bottom protrudes a bit.
- Keep your palms alongside your body with your thumbs placed on the lower rib and fingers on the hip bone.
- Now pull in your bottom so that it’s in a straight line with your lower ribs.
- Hold for five seconds, release and repeat five times.
5. Pelvis tilting exerciseStanding tall
Does your teen’s slouching irk you as much as yours vexed your mom? Try this simple exercise for posture correction to resolve this.
- Stand against a blank wall with your head, heels, shoulder blades and bottom touching it. Make sure there’s a gap between your lower back and the wall.
- Stay in this position for 30 seconds then step away. Try to maintain that posture every time you stand.
These body posture exercises can prove extremely effective in improving your bearing. What’s awesome is that you can do them together as a family without spending a dime at fancy gyms. Incorporate them into your workout sessions or do them whenever you need to relieve muscle aches and pains. You’ll be amazed by the positive effect they have on your posture.