In this Article
We all get late-night hunger pangs and to satiate our untimely hunger, we may opt for a quick snack. Sugary or fried food items are detrimental to our health, especially late at night. Does that mean that we can eat fruits; and is banana one such fruit that we can have at night? If you wish to put an end to your curiosity, read this article. In this post, we talk about whether eating a banana is safe at night or not.
Should You Eat a Banana Before Going to Bed?
Banana is one of the most nutritious foods that we can include in our day-to-day diet. However, most of us may have heard people saying that there are many side-effects of eating a banana at night. Are you wondering, is eating a banana at night harmful or what may be the possible disadvantages of eating a banana at night?
Some health experts and nutritionists say that the only reason that one should avoid eating banana close to bedtime is if you are suffering from a bout of cold or a cough, or you have asthma. This is because consuming a banana close to bedtime may increase mucus formation. Also, eating a banana at night may increase weight because it becomes difficult for your body to digest it. Ayurveda also propagates similar thoughts. However, you may consider consuming banana for any of the following benefits:
1. Helps in Inducing Sleep
If you have had a long tiring day and are experiencing trouble getting some sleep, banana is something that you can consider eating at night. A banana or two can be had close to bedtime because it helps your muscles feel calm and relaxed and thus helps you in sleeping better.
2. Helps in Controlling Stomach Acid
If you have had a heavy meal at night, which was loaded with too much oil and spices, there are chances that you may suffer from heartburn or acidity. Consuming one banana may come handy because it helps in neutralising the stomach acids and thus is beneficial in keeping acidity at bay.
3. Helps in Preventing Muscle Cramping
If you have been experiencing the treachery of muscle cramping in your sleep at night, consuming a banana late in the evening may help in providing much-needed relief. Bananas are rich in magnesium and potassium, the two electrolytes that prove beneficial in reducing muscle cramping.
4. Helps in Curbing Your Sweet Craving
Most of us love to end our meals with sweets, but eating sweets may be a good option at night. Also, many of us may get late night cravings for sweets. Eating a banana is a healthier alternative to eating sweets at night and also putting an end to all those late night sweet cravings.
5. Helps in Giving a Fibre Boost
Bananas are loaded with fibre and thus consuming this super-food close to bedtime helps in providing an extra boost of fibre to the body. Extra fibre can help in keeping type-2 diabetes, heart ailments and digestive health on track.
6. Helps in Lowering Blood Pressure
If you are battling with high blood pressure, you should increase your potassium intake and reduce your sodium intake. Bananas are rich in potassium, which is excellent for keeping your blood pressure under check. If you are unable to meet your daily potassium intake during the day, gobbling down a banana at night can give your body an instant dosage of dietary potassium.
Therefore, if you experience any of the issues mentioned above, eating a banana at night may actually prove to be helpful for your health.
Who Should You Avoid Eating Banana at Night?
Where some people may benefit greatly by eating a banana at night, some people should avoid eating a banana at night. You should avoid eating banana under the following circumstances:
- If you are suffering from a cold or a cough, you should avoid banana at night as it may lead to more mucus formation.
- If you have asthma, eating a banana at night may cause more phlegm and cause trouble in breathing.
- If you suffer from stomach issues such as bloating or gas, eating a banana late in the evening may aggravate the problem.
- If you plan to study or work at night, avoid eating a banana as it can make you lethargic and sleepy.
- If you wish to avoid tooth troubles, avoid eating bananas at night as it may increase your chances of tooth decay.
- If you wish to keep your weight under check, avoid eating bananas at night because these calorie-dense fruits are difficult to digest at night.
Banana Sleep-Enhancing Recipes
Bananas offer us immense health benefits. However, bananas are also great for enhancing sleep. The best and easiest way of eating a banana is in its original form; however, if you want some change or you wish to try some variation, you can use a banana to make some sleep-enhancing recipes. Here are some easy recipes that you can try:
1. Banana and Oatmeal Cookies
These yummy cookies are a great way of putting a sweet end to a tiring day.
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup oats
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¼ cup mixed nuts (optional)
- Mash the bananas into a smooth pasty consistency.
- Add oats and mix well.
- Add cinnamon powder and mixed nuts, mix all the ingredients into a smooth dough.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees.
- Grease the baking dish and place the cookie dough in shape of cookies.
- Bake the cookies for 10 to 11 minutes or until done.
- Serve warm.
2. Banana Tea
This tea is very effective in inducing sleep at night, and a dash of cinnamon adds that extra flavour and aroma to the tea. Many of us are unaware that banana peel is edible and nutritious, too. We will be using banana fruit and banana peel in this recipe.
- 1 medium sized banana
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Honey (optional)
- Discard both the ends of banana and chop it into big pieces.
- Take a heavy-bottomed pan and pour water into it.
- Add banana and cinnamon powder into the water and let it boil on low flame for 10 minutes.
- Strain the water and add honey for some sweetness.
- Serve this tea piping hot.
3. Banana Smoothie
Drink this nutritious and yummy banana smoothie and bid farewell to your sleep troubles.
- 1 medium-sized banana
- ½ cup cherries (with seeds removed)
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg powder
- ½ cup milk
- Honey or brown sugar
- Put all the ingredients into the blender.
- Churn the ingredients for 30 to 40 seconds.
- You may add some flax seeds or chopped nuts while garnishing for some added flavour.
Banana is a fruit with versatile benefits. There are many ways in which you can include this nutritious fruit in your diet. You can also safely eat a banana at night, however, if you are dealing with some health issues that require you to keep a check on what you include or remove from your diet, you should check with your doctor before eating bananas at night.