Meditation can be defined as relaxation, and it has so many advantages. Meditation has nothing to do with concentration and focusing on one particular thing. It is about de-stressing and trying to stop thinking for some time.
Health Benefits of Meditation
A few benefits of meditation daily include enhanced concentration, calm mind, improved communication and clarity, and relaxation of body and mind. When meditation is regularly practised, it has an impact on all three important areas of existence- physical, mental, and spiritual.
1. Physical Health Benefits of Meditation
When meditating, there is a change in the physiology, and each cell existing in the body is filled with a life force (prana). There is also an increase in peace and joy, and the person becomes more enthusiastic when practising on a regular basis. The advantages of meditation are countless.
- It decreases oxygen consumption and lowers respiratory rate.
- It decreases the heart rate, and there will be an increase in blood flow and exercise tolerance.
- It always leads people to a deeper intensity of relaxation and decreases anxiety attacks.
- It helps in many diseases like arthritis, allergies, etc. and helps in reducing muscle tension.
- It helps to heal post-operative wounds and strengthens the immune system.
- It reduces emotional distress and the activity of viruses.
- There will be a decrease in the levels of cholesterol and reduction in the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- It improves the flow of oxygen to the lungs, allowing the person to breathe easier and better.
- It is a cure for migraines and headaches and is also helpful in preventing and controlling the pain of chronic diseases.
- It relaxes the nervous system and is ideal for relieving asthma.
2. Benefits of Meditation for Mental Health
Meditation promotes healing by bringing the brainwave pattern in a relaxing alpha state. You will achieve a delicate, beautiful, and fresh mind. It also nourishes and cleanses you from inside. When you feel overwhelmed or emotionally unstable and shut down, it will help to calm you down. Regular practice has many uses:
- It helps to build your self-confidence, and it will enhance your ability to focus and concentrate more.
- It increases the level of serotonin and influences behaviour and mood. You will be able to control your thoughts.
- It improves your creativity, ability to learn, and memory. You can also increase productivity.
- It resolves your fears and phobias and increases your brainwave coherence.
- It helps to improve your relationships at home and work and increases emotional stability.
- You will find your mind ageing at a slower rate, and it purifies your character.
- It makes it easier to get rid of bad habits or addictions, and it increases the feelings of rejuvenation and vitality.
- The two hemispheres of your brain will have greater communication, and you will be able to react quicker and more effectively to any situation that is usually stressful.
- It helps in increasing your motor ability and perceptual ability, and your intelligence growth rate will become higher.
- You will need lesser sleep to recover from problems like sleep deprivation, and you will need very less time to fall asleep. It cures insomnia.
- You will find yourself more tolerant, and it helps you make the right decisions.
- It improves emotional maturity and decreases the tendency to worry.
3. Spiritual Benefits of Meditation
Religion is not involved in meditation and can be regularly practised by everybody regardless of the religion they follow.
- When meditating, you will start feeling like you are merging with something infinite and you will feel that your body and the whole cosmos is inseparable which is the deep essence of this practice.
- When in the meditative state, you are present in an area of joy, calmness, and vastness. This feeling is what you radiate into your surroundings, bringing peace to the planet and all of creation.
- You will be able to bring about a complete personal transformation. When you know more about yourself and who you are, you will naturally discover more from deep within.
- It helps to increase synchronicity in life, and you will start experiencing a sense of “oneness”.
- It helps you embrace the present and in widening and deepening your capacity to love yourself and the people around you.
- It increases compassion, wisdom, and self-actualisation. It helps you discover the purposes of your life.
- You will also attain enlightenment, and that changes your attitude towards life.
Here are your answers to some FAQs about meditation:
1. Why Should We Meditate?
Meditation is needed to clear our minds and enter a world of peace and tranquillity. Nothing in the world will threaten you. When you meditate, you will rarely lose temper and find happiness in unexpected places. You will be able to build relationships more easily and will have deeper friendships.
2. What is the Best Way to Get All These Benefits of Meditation?
Practising regularly is the key. You only have to meditate for a few minutes each day, and it will soon become the best part of your day. You will then become more confident and will have better health.
3. How is Meditation Beneficial for Pregnant Women?
- Pregnancy hormones can sometimes dampen your mood, and for some, it leads to depression. Research has now found an actual stress-buster for pregnant women which is yoga.
- Yoga has helped reduce the depressive symptoms of many pregnant women who were identified as high risk for postpartum depression.
- Yoga is said to be an effective alternative to other pharmaceutical medications or treatments for depressed pregnant women.
- Mental health problems, including anxiety and depression, during pregnancy, are found to have serious health concerns.
- Genetic predisposition, hormonal changes, and even external social factors will set the perfect stage for a pregnant woman to go through overwhelming feelings, persistent irritability, and the inability to deal with stress.
- If these symptoms are left untreated, both the mother and the baby would be at risk. Major risks include poor weight gain, premature labour, preeclampsia, and trouble bonding with the newborn child.
- Though antidepressants are effective in treating depression, studies have found that many pregnant women hesitate to take it as they are concerned about the baby’s health. They are more comfortable with treatments including various techniques of relaxation, herbal medicine, and mind-body work.
- Combining physical poses and meditative focus, mindfulness yoga is the best method to increase your energy and fight stress and anxiety.
4. How is Meditation Beneficial for Kids?
Mediation can help kids in many ways.
- It helps to reduce symptoms of depression, somatic stress, and anxiety.
- It also helps to reduce hostility, substance use or addiction, and conflict with peers.
- Meditation increases cognitive retention, self-care, positive emotion, and optimism.
- It will improve their self-esteem and social skills and make them happier and peaceful.
- Sleep and academic performance are also improved.
Meditation will keep you healthy and help in preventing several diseases. You will find yourself a much happier person. There will be an improvement in every basic task, both mental and physical. To experience all the benefits, you will have to practice meditation every day. You can even practise meditation along with your partner and children daily.