Triplets are the dream of many families. Those adorable little munchkins and their contagious energy are what make parenting a beautiful journey. If you’ve always dreamed of having triplets then you’d be glad to know that there are ways to conceive them naturally. From fertility assistance to lifestyle tips and techniques, here is everything you need to know about triplet births and also how to increase your chances of conceiving triplets naturally.
Formation of Triplet Babies
Triplets are formed in mainly two ways-
Monozygotic- Where the embryo splits into three identical ones, thus giving birth to babies of the same gender and genes
Dizygotic – Each embryo gets fertilized by separate sperms. The babies may or may not be of the same sex or either carry the same genes.
Another way triplets are formed are when an embryo gives birth to twins and are followed by another one that gets fertilized separately. This is fondly referred to by mothers as ‘a pair and a spare’ which indicates that the spare baby may be of different gender and genetic disposition than the twins. The twins, however, will carry the same DNA.
Odds of Having Triplets
Getting triplets isn’t something that happens to everyone. In fact, there is a good chance that you may not know any couples who have triplets. If you’re curious about your odds of having triplets, then here are some facts you need to know-
- You must have a family history of birthing triplets
- You must be 30 years or older since older women have higher chances of conceiving triplets
- You must come from a family that has a history of hyper-ovulation
- There is a 1 in 9000 chance of conceiving triplets according to Australian research
- You have a 1 in 40 chance of birthing triplets if you take fertility assistance
How to Get Pregnant with Triplets?
If you’re trying to get pregnant with triplets, then you’ll be glad to know that there are a couple of ways to increase your chances of conceiving. Age is a huge factor since women over the age of 30 and below 40 experience a spike in fertility before entering their peri-menopausal years, thus increasing the chances of releasing multiple eggs for fertilization.
Fertility assistance is one the main ways couples increase their conception chances, but there are other factors you can naturally influence to maximize your likelihood of a triplet conception. Keep reading, and we’ll explain how to conceive triplets.
Tips to Conceive Triplets Naturally
Having triplets is the dream of many mothers. Your family grows, there’s an abundance of energy and so many memories to make as your child grows through the following years. For some, it’s a dream, and for others, it’s pure terror.
Here are some of the best tips for conceiving triplets naturally, according to Australian doctors and previous medical research-
- Consume a nutritious diet rich in yams, milk, and dairy products
- The only possible way to increase your chances of having triplets is to have lots of intercourse during your high sex-drive years
- Eat foods that stimulate progesterone production such as almonds, walnuts, chicken, eggs, and whole grains
- If you’ve given birth to twins or more children before, your chances of conceiving triplets will increase substantially
- Increase your body weight
- Quit smoking and alcoholism
- If you’re of African descent, your chances will be very high
- Take a folic acid supplement every day
- Stop taking hormonal birth control drugs
- Be extremely lucky or blessed
- Get fertility assistance since that will increase your chances by up to 85%!
Due Date for Triplets
Your due date will arrive sooner than you’d expect when you’re having triplets. Normally, it takes 36 weeks for twins to be birthed while it takes 33 weeks for triplets to come out from your womb. The reason behind this is that your uterus swells, thus triggering cervical contractions early on which leads to an early delivery due to the small size of the babies.
There is another reason behind the early delivery date, and that’s because the uterus doesn’t have enough room to let the babies grow further, thus triggering an early or premature delivery.
Complications Associated with Having Triplets
Although triplets are a dream for many, sometimes things go off-track and aren’t quite what you’d expect. Pregnancy with one child itself is fraught with complications so it would be logical to assume that the risks are greater when it comes to triplets. This is because the body has to use its resources for four individuals, including yourself!
Here are pregnancy or birthing complications associated with having triplets that you need to be aware of-
1. For Mother
Triplets pregnancy risks associated with the mother bearing them are-
- Severe sickness in the mornings
- High blood pressure
- Maternal pre-eclampsia
- Premature delivery
- Placenta Praevia
- Chances of developing gestational diabetes
- Excessive amniotic fluid in the placenta
- High likelihood of developing a condition known as ‘varicose veins’
- Difficulty breathing
- Severe bleeding during and after birth
- Difficulty breastfeeding three babies at the same time
2. For Baby
Pregnancy complications associated with the babies are-
- Single or multiple stillbirths
- Fetal growth abnormalities
- Tangling of the umbilical cord
- Your babies may develop Down Syndrome, although the chances of this are rare
You may experience a surge of emotions during the first few days when you discover that you’re having triplets for the delivery date. Take some time off or discuss with your spouse how your lifestyle will change after conception.
On the other hand, if you feel blessed and have always wanted to conceive triplets, then congratulations. Be open to receiving gifts and take advantages of rented equipment and leased furniture to save expenses and financially stay afloat along the way. The best part is the whirl of tingling emotions you experience when you hear the good news . However, you must remember that once you give birth to triplets you will be in for a wild ride and experience a world of adventures. But, we promise that it’ll be worth it!