How to Boost Immunity During Pregnancy
Every article that we publish, confirms to stringent guidelines & involves several levels of reviews, both from our Editorial team & Experts. We welcome your suggestions in making this platform more useful for all our users. Write in to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
While pregnant, you need to take extreme care of yourself because you’re not just looking after yourself, but your baby as well. Your immunity is of top concern, as is your child’s. Your immune system is like a shield – it protects you from illness, germs, toxins and infections, by providing resistance. Your body’s own defence system, the immune system, is one of the most important systems in your body, without which the functioning of your organs and overall health can be compromised.
Pregnant women are said to be more prone to diseases and infections, as opposed to women who are not pregnant, so it is imperative that an expecting mother does everything it takes to keep her immune system top-notch. This is because the body lowers its immunity so that the mother’s body does not reject the baby.
Effects of Weak Immune System in Pregnancy
So what happens if you have a weakened immune system during pregnancy?
- What happens to you, happens to your child. So, if your immune system is weak, you’re making it easier for infections, toxins, and germs to enter and thrive.
- You’ll see that you end up having a flu way too many times than usual.
- Tiredness and fatigue are common during pregnancy but if your immunity is low, then you’ll see a whole new level of tiredness and fatigue.
- Morning sickness is common during pregnancy too, but like tiredness and fatigue, you’ll see more of this than usual, thanks to a weak immune system.
- A strong immune system means a healthy foetus. So if the growth of your baby is not up to the mark and development is slow or stunted, blame it on your weak immune system.
Tips to Boost Immune System When Pregnant
Here are a few tips on how to boost the immune system when pregnant
- Take probiotics regularly. Probiotics are found naturally in foods like kefir, yoghurt, and sauerkraut, but you can take supplements that are found over the counter in medical stores or the supermarket as well. Probiotics help in increasing your immunity as well as your child’s. It can help protect your child from any asthma and allergies in the long run as well.
- Make sure you eat a nutritious diet. Pregnancy can cause you to crave a lot of weird food, and while it is okay to indulge once in a while, you need to remember that you’re eating for two people – you and your child, and your child needs good, healthy food. Make sure you have enough protein, carbs, fat, vitamins and the whole lot that falls undernutrition – these are foods that help boost the immune system during pregnancy.
- Make sure you get enough sleep. Your body needs to be well-rested during pregnancy and more so if you plan on boosting your immunity. Your body is dealing with a lot right now, physically, emotionally and physiologically. Give it some good rest.
- Make sure you have a positive environment around you. Laughing, as a matter of fact, can help boost your immunity too, as surprising as it sounds. Wallowing in a negative environment is the last thing you need during your pregnancy.
- Stack up on Vitamin D. This helps with your immunity, boosting it and helping with fertility.
- Zinc is another element that you need to make sure you consume too.
- Keep yourself hydrated. Water really should be the elixir of life, considering how much we depend on it. Make sure you have an intake of 8 to 12 glasses of water a day without fail.
- Keep yourself warm, especially during winter. Don’t get drenched in the rain, and stay away from too much sunlight too.
- Exercise regularly. This is highly beneficial for both you and your baby as the body really needs exercise. It can help keep a tab on your body temperature, regulate blood flow, and help with hormonal balance as well.
Follow the above points and make sure you take pregnancy in your stride with a smile. This can be a trying time for you, but you have the license to go ahead and pamper yourself with all the love and care in the world. Begin by boosting your immunity, so that both you and your child have a healthy life.