Soups are healthy, delicious and very comforting food for your little one. They are easily digestible and are full of nutrition. The best thing about them is the ease in preparing them. Be it a rainy day or a chilly evening; soups are soulful food that every member of your family would love.
When to Give Mutton or Lamb Soup to Babies
It is advisable to introduce mutton soup into your child’s diet when he is 8 months. Mutton soup for 6 months baby is fine as long as the ingredients that go in making it are age-appropriate. Speak to your child’s paediatrician before you start him on a mutton or lamb diet. If you are preparing mutton bone soup for babies, strain it and offer to your child as a clear soup. It is important to remember that the lamb or mutton should be cleaned very well before it goes into the soup pot. A bowl of mutton soup for toddlers provides them with a lot of iron and zinc along with other proteins.
Mutton Soup Recipe for Babies
Mutton soup is the ultimate comfort food for your child when he is sick. This is an instant energy booster. Let us now see how to make mutton soup for babies in the easiest way.
It takes between 10 – 15 mins to prepare all the ingredients for the soup.
This tasty mutton soup takes about 15 – 20 mins to cook.
- Mutton chunks: 250 gms
- Bay leaf: 1 medium
- Cinnamon: 1 medium stick
- Cumin seeds: ¼ tsp
- Fennel seeds: ¼ tsp
- Onion: 2 tbsp chopped finely
- Ginger: ½ tsp paste
- Garlic: 4 cloves crushed into a paste
- Coriander Leaves: 2 tbsp chopped finely
- Salt: as per taste
- Oil/Ghee: 1 Tsp
- Red Chilli Powder: 1 Tsp
- White pepper powder: ½ tsp
- Water: 3 cups
How to Prepare
- Clean the mutton pieces thoroughly under running water and check for any grit or dirt
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add the cinnamon stick
- Add bay leaf. Then add cumin seeds and fennel seeds. Wait for the cumin seeds to crackle
- Add the chopped onion, ginger and garlic. Saute for 5-7 mins till the onions become translucent
- Add the mutton chunks and give them a gentle stir
- Lower the gas to medium flame and continue stirring for another 5 minutes
- Add all the other spices and salt. Add the chopped coriander leaves and 3 cups of water
- Give everything in the cooker a nice mix and close the lid. Let it cook for 7-8 whistles on medium flame
- Remove from fire and let the pressure get released
- Strain the contents in a bowl and serve this clear soup to your child
Adjust the spices in the recipe as per your taste.
Make this healthy soup for your dinner tomorrow and see your child finish off his bowl in no time! The soup is highly nutritious, and your baby will love the taste.