In this Article
Last Updated on
Pregnant women are advised to pay special attention to their dietary intake during pregnancy. Eating fresh, nourishing food when pregnant is important to safeguard the health of the unborn baby and also of the mother. Therefore, it is essential to include foods that provide vitamins, minerals, proteins, and fibre. Horse gram is one such food that can be part of the pregnancy diet.
Horse gram has several health benefits, but it is also known to generate a lot of heat in the body. Foods which cause the body to heat up may not be advisable to consume during pregnancy, but consuming them in moderation should be fine. In case you wish to eat horse gram during pregnancy for its nutritional value, you can balance it out with foods that are naturally cooling.
Can Pregnant Women Eat Horse Gram?
Owing to its health benefits, many pregnant women may wish to consume horse gram. The answer is yes – pregnant women can eat horse gram but in moderation. Overconsumption of anything while pregnant can give rise to unnecessary complications. So, it is always better to be safe. In case you want to include horse gram in your diet, do so in restricted quantities. You can always refer to your doctor for necessary guidance.
Nutritional Value of Horse Gram
Horse gram is a type of bean, essentially used in South Indian dishes. The edible seeds offer several medicinal and culinary benefits. Horse gram is a good source of iron. Horse gram is also full of protein and fibre. Horse gam is believed to possess astringent and diuretic properties.
Health Benefits of Consuming Horse Gram During Pregnancy
Some of the health benefits of horse gram during pregnancy are:
- Being rich in iron, it can help in enhancing the much-needed blood count during pregnancy.
- Horse gram can effectively treat several health issues like conjunctivitis, worm removal, piles, and rheumatism.
- Horse gram can provide the necessary heat to keep the body warm in the winter season.
- Horse gram helps boost immunity and using horse gram during pregnancy may aid in controlling fever.
- The phenol content of horse gram can help in maintaining a healthy weight during pregnancy.
- Horse gram is full of fibre, which can be a useful remedy for regulating cholesterol levels while pregnant.
- Horse gram is known for being effective in curing peptic ulcers and kidney stones.
- Horse gram may be beneficial in combating flatulence and indigestion issues during pregnancy.
Are There Any Risks Associated With Eating Horse Gram During Pregnancy?
While horse gram can produce excessive heat in the body that can add to a pregnant woman’s discomfort, no studies reveal any conclusive evidence that shows that eating horse gram during pregnancy can be harmful. However, it is best to consume horse gram in limited quantities. Other than this factor, horse gram is a safe food to include in your pregnancy diet.
How to Include Horse Gram in Your Pregnancy Diet
There are many ways to include horse gram in your pregnancy diet. Here are some easy ways to eat horse gram during pregnancy:
- Horse gram can be used to prepare healthy soups and curries.
- You can cook up a delicious dish by using horse gram with rai, coriander leaves, radish leaves, and spinach.
- You can use horse gram to cook tasty gravy and eat it along with roti or boiled rice.
- You can also make a nutritious rasam made with horse gram.
- In certain regions of India, horse gram is powdered to make laddoos.
Eating horse gram in moderate amounts during pregnancy is not likely to expose you to any serious health risk. To keep the discomfort levels in check, make sure you do not consume horse gram in excess. In any case, it is always wise to consult your doctor about the list of foods that can be safely consumed during pregnancy.
Also Read: Benefits of Makhana during Pregnancy