In this Article
Your little one is highly and solely dependent upon your breastmilk for its essential nutrient supplements. So, it is imperative to understand the importance of eating a healthy and nutritious diet while you are breastfeeding. In today’s advanced era, most of us already know what to eat and what not to eat during breastfeeding, since whatever you eat enters the bloodstream of your baby through the breast milk.
Can Breastfeeding Mothers Eat Eggs?
Eggs, as we all know, is a great source of protein, and the answer to your question whether it can be consumed while nursing your baby is yes! Eggs are actually good to consume 3-4 times a week. The thumb rule of breastfeeding is that you need to intake an extra calories of 500 every day to meet your baby’s nutrient requirements, and it should come from healthy and wholesome nutritious diet.
Benefits of Eating Eggs when Breastfeeding
Consuming eggs while nursing your baby is a healthy option as eggs contain loads of health benefits which include:
- Eggs contain a perfect proportion of protein and healthy fats.
- Eggs help you to elevate your good cholesterol level in the body which thereby reduces the risk of heart ailments like heart attack, stroke and other health problems.
- Eggs are fully loaded with vitamins, nutrients and minerals like vitamin A, vitamin B2, vitamin B12, phosphorous, selenium, calcium, zinc, folate, and much more.
- Eggs also contain an essential compound known as choline which is vital for many bodily functions.
- Eggs are also beneficial for the eyes; it helps prevent macular degeneration and cataract.
- Eggs are also a storehouse of essential amino acids which is required by the body for essential functioning.
Can You Eat Raw Eggs?
It is not advisable to consume raw eggs while breastfeeding or even otherwise. Consumption of raw eggs or even undercooked eggs can lead to increased risk of developing salmonella, which causes fever, diarrhoea, vomiting, stomach cramps, and nausea. Raw eggs are used in the preparation of homemade sauces, salad dressings, tiramisu, frostings, etc. But if you consume raw eggs don’t worry about passing it on to your baby. In case you are affected by salmonella, it remains in your intestines and does not enter your breast milk. But it can cause dehydration which is also not good while breastfeeding, as dehydration will reduce the supply of milk in your body.
Egg Allergy – Things to Keep in Mind
While it is considered safe to consume eggs while nursing your baby, you need to consider the following points:
- It is advisable to get your baby tested for allergies before you include any possible allergic foods in your diet while nursing your baby.
- Symptoms like nausea, abdominal pain, rashes, breathing problems, hives, asthma, etc. indicate egg allergy in infants if consumed while breastfeeding.
- If you witness any of these symptoms, then consult a doctor and stop eating eggs and wait until the condition improves.
- In case your baby is severely allergic then you need to keep a note of all other foods you consume.
- A lot of packed foods and candies contain egg which can also cause allergic reactions in your baby.
- Completely avoid mayonnaise, salad dressings that contain egg, batter fried items, and other store-bought foods.
- Drink plenty of water while nursing to keep your body hydrated and to eliminate all the toxic components from your body.
Hopefully, the above post clarifies your doubt regarding whether you can eat eggs during breastfeeding or not. It is better to consult a doctor for further details and allergen information. The basic rule of diet during breastfeeding is that you eat clean and healthy!