Last Updated on
When a woman is pregnant, she needs to eat healthy to ensure healthy development of the baby. If you are pregnant, eating a well-balanced diet that includes plenty of fruits and veggies will keep you and your baby healthy. In this article, we will talk about one particular fruit – apple. You know very well that apples taste delicious and are healthy. But are they good for a pregnant woman too? Do they provide any benefit to a pregnant woman? Read this article to find out!
Is it Safe to Eat Apples During Pregnancy?
Apples can be consumed by pregnant women as there are no known side effects of eating apples during pregnancy. Apples are a great source of nutrition and highly beneficial for both the mother-to-be and the growing baby.
If you want to make apples a part of your pregnancy diet, you can. Just remember that before eating them, wash them thoroughly as there is a high chance that they might be contaminated by pesticides. If possible, eat organic apples as they are pesticide & WAX free.
Avoid eating apple seeds as seeds contain cyanide, which is poisonous. The seeds, when consumed, release cyanide slowly into the stomach when they are being digested. Hence it could take a while before the symptoms of cyanide poisoning begin to show. Therefore, it is important for pregnant women to make absolutely sure that they are not ingesting the seeds while eating apples.
Nutritional Value of Apples
Apples, primarily contain, water and carbohydrates in them. But they also have high amounts of simple sugars like glucose and fructose. They are also a rich source of insoluble and dietary fibres and contain between 1% and 3% of the daily RDA (Recommended Dietary Allowance) of B-complex vitamins like thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pyridoxine, and pantothenic acid and folate.
Apples contain Vitamin C (8% of RDA) and Vitamin A, E, and K in small amounts. They also have trace amounts of essential minerals like iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and phosphorous. Apples are also a great source of phytonutrients such as beta-carotene, cryptoxanthin, flavonoids, and anthocyanin.
Potassium is the main mineral present in apples, which is known to improve the health of the heart. Apples are also rich in the fibre called pectin, which helps lower sugar levels and improves digestion.
Benefits of Eating Apples During Pregnancy
Eating apples during pregnancy has several health benefits for both the mom-to-be and the growing baby. Vitamin C and antioxidants in apples reduce damage by free radicals in the body. The B-complex vitamins in apples help in keeping the red blood cells healthy. Eating apples during pregnancy can also be beneficial for the baby as it lowers the risk of childhood allergies and asthma. Read on to know about the health benefits of eating apples during pregnancy.
- Prevents Anaemia: Apples are a good source of iron which boosts the production of haemoglobin in the blood and prevents anaemia. Pregnant women are at an increased risk of developing iron-deficiency anaemia. To prevent its chances, eating iron-rich foods is recommended. You can include apples in your diet to combat this problem.
- Helps in Digestion: Hormonal changes during pregnancy can slow down the digestion process and lead to constipation. But eating apples can help. Apples contain dietary fibre that softens stools but if you eat too many apples, it can have a negative effect. You can have 1-2 apples daily during pregnancy.
- Helps Build Immunity: Apples are a good source of Vitamin C, which can help in building immune strength. So eat this crunchy food and lower your chances of catching infections.
- Provides Energy: Apples contain simple sugars like glucose, sucrose and fructose that can provide you with energy instantly. So, it is a good idea to carry an apple in your purse when you go out, in case you get hungry or suffer from low blood sugar problems.
- May Keep the Heart Healthy: Eating apples daily can help lower bad cholesterol levels, plaques, and inflammation within artery walls. Yes, it can keep your heart healthy. Eating apples can also provide relief from heartburn.
- Prevents Respiratory Problems: Eating apples during pregnancy can lower the risk of developing asthma in your baby. Apples contain antioxidants that strengthen the lungs of the mom-to-be. Stronger lungs help in keeping breathing and respiratory problems at bay.
- Helps in Bone Development: Apples contain calcium which is essential for the development of strong bones in the baby. Calcium can also help strengthen your bones during pregnancy. Apples help prevent calcium loss from the body. Being rich in antioxidants and inflammatory compounds, they help promote bone density and strength.
- Increases Memory Power: The skin of the apples contains quercetin, an antioxidant that improves memory and cognitive function. It prevents brain cell damage and reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. Drinking apple juice daily improves memory in the brain by stimulating a neurotransmitter called acetylcholine. It also protects the brain from oxidation damage that happens due to dietary deficiencies or genetic inadequacies.
Can You Eat Green Apples During Pregnancy?
The health benefits offered by green apples are similar to that of red apples. You can eat green apples during pregnancy as they are healthy too. Green apples contain less sugar and more fibre as compared to red apples. They have a thicker skin and a crisp tartness. Eating green apples is especially good for a woman who is concerned about her carbohydrate and sugar intake during pregnancy. Red apples contain more antioxidants like anthocyanin that eliminate free radicals from the body and have anti-inflammatory properties but green apples are rich in antioxidants too. Green apples can also control blood pressure levels. So you can eat red as well as green apples, they are equally healthy!
Are There Any Side Effects?
Although apples are very good for you and your baby during pregnancy, you must consume them in moderation as excessive consumption of apples can lead to certain problems such as constipation, acidity, etc.
Eating apples during pregnancy or otherwise is good. During pregnancy, you can eat 1-2 apples daily – consuming them in moderate amounts won’t harm you or your baby. Furthermore, follow a well-balanced diet during pregnancy and you and your baby will be fine!