Eating Custard Apple (Sitafal) During Pregnancy
Every article that we publish, confirms to stringent guidelines & involves several levels of reviews, both from our Editorial team & Experts. We welcome your suggestions in making this platform more useful for all our users. Write in to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Indian name for custard apple, sitaphal, has been derived from the Sanskrit words sheet, which means ‘cold’ and phal, which means ‘fruit’. This is a fruit that is known to cool the body and is full of numerous health benefits. The custard apple has tiny bumps all over it and is utterly delicious, though a little messy!
If you’re wondering whether you can eat custard apple in pregnancy, then this article is for you. We have also mentioned the nutritional value of the fruit and a few custard apple recipes below that you can relish during your pregnancy period. Let’s read!
Can You Eat Custard Apple During Pregnancy?
Having doubts about consuming sitafal during pregnancy? Worry not! We have the right answer for you!
Custard apple is good for pregnancy and is safe to consume during this time. This sweet seed fruit offer numerous health benefits for pregnant women, which we have also discussed below.
Nutritional Value of Custard Apples
The nutritional value per 100 g of custard apples is as follows:
|Energy||393 kJ (94 kcal)|
|Vitamin B1||0.11 mg|
|Vitamin B6||0.2 mg|
Benefits of Custard Apples to Pregnant Women
Do you know about custard apple benefits in pregnancy? Pregnant women can get the following benefits from this nutritious fruit during pregnancy.
1. Reduction in Morning Sickness
2. Healthy Weight Gain
The fruit is high in calories and neural sugar. Thus, it will help in weight gain.
3. Regulation of Blood Pressure
Blood pressure tends to fluctuate during pregnancy. The potassium and magnesium content regulates blood pressure.
4. Relief from Constipation
5. Reduction in Stress
Magnesium relaxes the muscles and regulates the cardiovascular system. It reduces stress and protects the heart.
6. Boost to Foetal Development
The overall nutritional components aid in the development of skin, tendon and blood vessels of the foetus.
7. Cleansing of Toxins From the Body
The fruit contains antioxidants that cleanse the body of toxins, thus keeping the kidneys in optimal condition. These antioxidants also help to build a strong immune system.
8. Relief From Dental Problems
The fibre content in custard apple keeps the teeth sparkling white, heals gums and does away with bad breath.
9. Prevention of Premature Delivery
Copper mineral is essential for the pregnant woman, who need 100mg dose for the strength to protect the foetus. Custard apple provides a certain portion of this copper mineral. Along with reducing the risk of miscarriage, it also reduces the chances of premature delivery.
10. Helps in Digestion
The fruit is rich in fibre that helps in digestion.
11. Enhances Mood
Custard apple is rich in Vitamin B6 that helps elevates mood, and reduces symptoms of depression or sadness.
12. Provides Energy
Sitaphal provides a lot of energy in terms of calorific value to pregnant women.
13. Increases Muscle Strength
Custard apples have higher protein content and help increase muscle strength in the would-be-mothers.
Risks of Eating Custard Apples During Pregnancy
Keep the following things in mind to avoid unfortunate incidents:
- The seed can create mess up your digestive system.
- If you’re allergic to cold foods, it’s best not to consume this fruit.
- As custard apples are high in sugar, patients with gestational diabetes should not consume them. (Or take it in moderation).
- Overweight women should avoid eating this fruit.(no need to avoid completely can be taken in moderation)
How to Include Custard Apple in Your Pregnancy Diet?
It is quite easy to include custard apple in your pregnancy diet, and there are many ways you can do so. Some ways to include this incredible fruit in your diet are:
- Add a little lime juice to the custard apple, as a complementary flavour.
- Make various desserts using sitaphal and add a handful of nuts on top.
- Prepare a milkshake or add it on top of the ice cream.
- If you have a sweet tooth, you can add a few drops of honey to it before eating.
Precautions You Should Take
While eating custard apples, you can take the following precautions:
- Scoop the pulp out with a spoon, taking care to avoid the seeds.
- Don’t consume raw custard apples. Ripe ones are bright green and feel pulpy.
- Consult your gynaecologist before consuming this fruit.
Custard Apple Recipes for Pregnant Women
Try these tasty custard apple recipes!
1. Custard Apple Rabdi
- Custard apple, peeled and deseeded – 2
- Milk – 2-3 cups
- Condensed milk – 2 tbsp
- Jaggery – to taste
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Green elaichi or cardamom – 2-3
- Cashews – a handful
- Almonds – a handful
- Refrigerate the custard apple pulp for 30 minutes.
- Add milk to a vessel and boil it.
- Add condensed milk and jaggery to this milk.
- Let it boil on a low flame for 6-7 minutes.
- Pour this mixture on to the pulp.
- Garnish with cashews and almonds.
2. Custard Apple Smoothie
- Custard apple – 1
- Milk – 1 cup
- Vanilla ice cream (optional) – 1 scoop
- Sugar – to taste
- Add milk to the pulp.
- Also, add sugar and vanilla ice cream.
- Blend it.
- Pour it into a glass and celebrate your pregnancy!
3. Custard Apple Ice Cream
- Custard apple – 4 cups pulp
- Skimmed milk – 2 cups
- Milk powder – 1 cup
- Powdered brown sugar – 1/3 cup
- Fresh cream – 1/2 cup
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Take a big bowl and add milk, milk powder, sugar powder, fresh cream, and vanilla essence to it and mix well until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add custard apple pulp to it and mix again.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow container, cover and freeze. Leave it for some time.
- Blend the mixture to get a smooth consistency.
- Pour the mixture again into a shallow container, cover, and freeze.
- Serve after some time.
1. Is It Safe to Eat Custard Apple Leaves and Seeds During Pregnancy?
No, you should not consume custard apple leaves during pregnancy as it can disturb your digestive system. For custard apple seeds, although they should not be consumed, if you swallow the seeds by chance, they’ll not hurt you, and your body will flush them out in the stool.
2. Can Breastfeeding Moms Eat Custard Apple?
Yes, you can enjoy eating custard apples while breastfeeding as it does not cause any harm.
3. Can Diabetic Pregnant Women Consume Custard Apple?
Custard apple is great for pregnant women and offers various health benefits. But when it comes to diabetic pregnant women, they must avoid eating this fruit.
Sitaphal is a power fruit that you can enjoy during pregnancy. If you don’t consume the seeds, you can enjoy its amazing benefits without worrying about the side effects!
1. Yogendra Singh, Prerak Bhatnagar, Nidhika Thakur; A review on insight of immense nutraceutical and medicinal potential of custard apple (Annona squamosa Linn.); researchgate.net; https://www.researchgate.net/publication/332329163_A_review_on_insight_of_immense_nutraceutical_and_medicinal_potential_of_custard_apple_Annona_squamosa_Linn; April 2019
2. Custard-apple, raw, (bullock’s-heart); nutritionvalue.org; https://www.nutritionvalue.org/Custard-apple%2C_raw%2C_%28bullock%27s-heart%29_nutritional_value.html
3. Custard-apple, (bullock’s-heart), raw; fdc.nal.usda.gov; https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/171725/nutrients
4. HEALTH BENEFITS OF CUSTARD APPLE; narayanahealth.org; https://www.narayanahealth.org/blog/health-benefits-of-custard-apple/
5. A Mom-to-be’s Guide to Fruits to Avoid During Pregnancy; sitarambhartia.org; https://www.sitarambhartia.org/blog/maternity/fruits-to-avoid-during-pregnancy/; August 2018