How to Make Carrot Halwa (Gajar ka Halwa)
Carrot halwa or gajar ka halwa is a sweet dish made with fresh carrots. It is loved by all. Carrots are rich in Vitamin A and are good for the eyes as well. Carrot halwa is a healthy dessert which can be easily made at home with minimal ingredients.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 60 mins
- Fresh Carrots – 7-8
- Cow’s milk (full cream) – 4 glasses
or plain khoya 150-200 grams
- Sugar – 8-10 spoons (as per the taste)
- Cardamom (optional)
- Saffron strands – A few
- Ghee – 4-5 spoons
Cashew nuts – 10-12 cut into halves
Raisins – 15
Almonds (thinly sliced) – 6-8
- First, wash the carrots well and peel off their skin and remove their edges.
- Grate the carrots and keep aside.
- In a small cup take 4 tablespoons of milk; add the saffron strands and keep it aside.
- In a large pan, heat some ghee.
- Next, add the grated carrots and sauté for a few minutes.
- Later, add the milk, close the lid and cook for a few minutes.
- Once the carrots are slightly cooked you can add the sugar.
- Cook on a medium flame. Then add the saffron strands-soaked milk.
- Keep sautéing it frequently and let the milk evaporate.
- You may add ghee if required.
- Once the carrots are completely cooked and milk evaporates completely, turn off the flame.
- You can use khoya instead of milk if you like.
Now, heat 2 tbsp of ghee in a small pan. Then add cashew nuts to it and saute till they turn light brown. Also add the almonds and raisins to it and sauté for a few seconds. Garnish the carrot halwa with these nuts.
Tips to Remember
- Always use fresh carrots.
- You can replace orange carrots with red carrots.
- You may adjust sugar and ghee as per your requirement.
- You can add crushed cardamom while you cook the halwa.
- You can also replace sugar with condensed milk.
So this is how you can make carrot halwa. It tastes delicious – so try the recipe now!
Disclaimer: The views, opinions and positions (including content in any form) expressed within this post are those of the author alone. The accuracy, completeness and validity of any statements made within this article are not guaranteed. We accept no liability for any errors, omissions or representations. The responsibility for intellectual property rights of this content rests with the author and any liability with regards to infringement of intellectual property rights remains with him/her.