11 Best Home Remedies for Sore Throat in Babies
Every article that we publish, confirms to stringent guidelines & involves several levels of reviews, both from our Editorial team & Experts. We welcome your suggestions in making this platform more useful for all our users. Write in to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dealing with a sore throat in babies is a difficult challenge for all parents. It is an infection which makes it difficult for babies to swallow anything. However, it is not possible to see a doctor always. This is when old-fashioned home remedies come in handy. Even doctors vouch for these time-tested treatments. They mostly have no side effects, are inexpensive and use products which are always available at home. In this article, we have covered some baby sore throat home remedies which you can use. There are simple home remedies that have been used by mothers for years now!
Common Causes of Sore Throat in Babies
Here are some common causes of sore throat in babies (1):
Infant Sore Throat Home Remedies You Must Know
Medicines and doctor visits may be necessary in some cases of a sore throat, but mostly it is a minor illness which can be cured through home remedies. Here are ten natural remedies to cure it (3).
Bananas are one of the best sore throat remedies for infants. They are soft and thus can be easily mashed and easy to swallow. They are also rich in Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, and Potassium.
Natural remedies for a sore throat in babies can be as simple as giving a warm soup or broth. This will keep him hydrated and also soothe his sore throat. Make sure that the soup/broth is just warm and not hot enough to scald his tongue.
After your baby attains 6 months of age, you can give him ghee with a pinch of grounded black pepper. This will soothe his sore throat. Ghee has anti-inflammatory properties which help in bringing down the inflammation in the throat.
4. Honey and Lemon Juice
Honey is an excellent age-old remedy to treat a sore throat and suppress cold. On the other hand, lemon juice is enriched with Vitamin C, which is also an immunity booster. This drink can be made by mixing a few drops of honey and a teaspoon of lemon juice to a cup of warm water. Giving this drink 3 – 4 times a day to the baby will cure his sore throat in no time. However, never give honey to a baby less than one year of age since it can cause infant botulism.
Boil few cloves of roughly crushed of garlic in water. Once it cools down, give few drops of the liquid to the baby with the help of a dropper. The antibacterial and antiseptic properties of the garlic give fast relief from a sore throat.
6. Mustard Oil
Warm-up some mustard oil. You may also mix some crushed garlic and some fenugreek seeds. After the oil cools down, you can gently massage the oil in the baby’s throat. Massaging the throat with the oil will give a warming effect and soothe the baby’s sore throat.
Fill a bucket or tub with hot water. Close the door and window of the bathroom. Once the bathing area is filled with steam, take your baby inside. The steam heals his throat and soothes it.
Probiotics which are present in yoghurt help in killing the germs that cause a sore throat. Moreover, it is soft and easy to swallow. Mixing it with some fruit like mashed apple, banana or fresh berries is a great idea. This will increase the Vitamin C content, which helps in curing the sore throat.Avoid cold refrigerated yoghurt.
9. Breast Milk
Breast milk acts as an immunity booster for newborns. The antibodies present in the milk helps to fight against all types of germs, bacteria, and virus. So, babies under 6 months of age do not require any other medication. The mother’s milk is the best remedy for a sore throat in newborns.
A humidifier in the baby’s room can moisten the dry air and keep the baby’s throat moist. However, make sure to clean the humidifier regularly and put fresh water in it. If not done so, it could become a breeding ground for more bacteria.
11. Gentle Neck Massage
Gently rub the baby’s neck and throat area. This can provide comfort and help alleviate some of the discomfort associated with a sore throat.
How Long Can Sore Throat Last in Babies?
The duration of a sore throat depends on the underlying illness or infection. For instance, a sore throat from a common cold might clear up within a few days, whereas one caused by herpes could persist for several weeks. That’s why it’s important to take preventive measures to safeguard your baby from developing a sore throat. Continue reading to learn how to do so.
1. Can an Infant Get Sore Throat From Teething?
There is no scientific evidence supporting a connection between teething and the occurrence of sore throats in babies.
2. Will Your Baby Cry Due to a Sore Throat?
When a baby experiences a sore throat, the resulting discomfort can lead to increased crying, exacerbating the pain. It becomes crucial to seek ways to provide comfort and alleviate the baby’s distress.
Home remedies are convenient and help during a dire situation such as night time when it may be difficult to take your child to the hospital. However, people should restrain themselves from taking chances, especially when it is to do with the health of small children.
1. Strep Throat, Sore Throat or Tonsillitis: What’s the Difference?; healthychildren.org; https://www.healthychildren.org/English/health-issues/conditions/ear-nose-throat/Pages/The-Difference-Between-a-Sore-Throat-Strep-and-Tonsillitis.aspx
2. What to Do About a Sore Throat; kidshealth.org; https://kidshealth.org/en/parents/sore-throat-sheet.html
3. What Actions Should Be Taken If A Child’s Throat Is Sore?; medanta.org; https://www.medanta.org/patient-education-blog/what-actions-should-be-taken-if-a-childs-throat-is-sore
4. Coughs and Colds: Medicines or Home Remedies?; healthychildren.org; https://www.healthychildren.org/English/health-issues/conditions/chest-lungs/Pages/Coughs-and-Colds-Medicines-or-Home-Remedies.aspx
5. Sore throat; mayoclinic.org; https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sore-throat/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20351640
6. 6 Sore Throat Remedies That Actually Work; health.clevelandclinic.org; https://health.clevelandclinic.org/sore-throat-remedies-that-actually-work/
7. Home Remedies for Sick Kids; chkd.org; https://www.chkd.org/blog/home-remedies-for-sick-kids/
8. Sore Throat (Viral); nationwidechildrens.org; https://www.nationwidechildrens.org/conditions/sore-throat