Is It Safe to Use Baking Soda While Pregnant?
Every article that we publish, confirms to stringent guidelines & involves several levels of reviews, both from our Editorial team & Experts. We welcome your suggestions in making this platform more useful for all our users. Write in to us at email@example.com
- Is Baking Soda Safe During Pregnancy?
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Baking Soda During Pregnancy
- Baking Soda in Food Products
- Baking Soda as a Cleaning Agent
- Baking Soda In Cooking
- Do Professionals Recommend Using Baking Soda in Pregnancy?
- Things to Remember While Taking Baking Soda When Pregnant
- Other Options Besides Baking Soda During Pregnancy
During pregnancy, you must be extremely careful about the foods you consume. Even a tiny amount of something can harm your baby. Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate, has several uses in cleaning and cooking. Many people are unsure about baking soda while pregnant, even though it is a basic product in every home.
Read this post for more details on using baking soda while pregnant and the precautions you should take.
Is Baking Soda Safe During Pregnancy?
Heartburn is a common problem during pregnancy, mainly due to the hormones in your body at this stage. To counter heartburn, you might want to use baking soda. And you can use it in limited amounts. The quantity of baking soda should be measured carefully, and you must ensure that the powder has dissolved completely before you consume the same. However, there are diverse opinions about its safety, so it’s best to speak to your doctor before you use it.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Baking Soda During Pregnancy
For pregnant women, baking soda has upsides as well as downsides. Here are a few of them:
There is no evidence of any negative impact of sodium bicarbonate on the unborn child. The advantages of using baking soda are:
- Baking soda is highly effective against acids that your pregnant body produces, thus relieving heartburn.
- Baking soda reacts with stomach acids and produces harmless elements like water, carbon dioxide, and common salt.
- For severe acidity, baking soda is highly effective. Mix half a teaspoon of baking soda in half a cup of water. Mix it thoroughly before drinking it.
Following are some disadvantages of using baking soda during pregnancy.
- Since baking soda contains sodium, it encourages water retention in the body. Due to this property, a low-sodium diet is recommended for those with swollen feet during pregnancy.
- Although baking soda is a great antacid and reduces heartburn, if you have oedema, it can aggravate the problem.
- Skin irritation may result from administering sodium bicarbonate i.e. baking soda.
Baking Soda in Food Products
Baking soda is used as a leavening agent in cakes, cookies, pancakes and a few kinds of bread. It doesn’t harm the body or the baby when used in limited quantity and mixed with other ingredients. You can use baking soda if you don’t eat baked products daily.
Baking Soda as a Cleaning Agent
During pregnancy, you should be careful of the cleaning agent you use. Baking soda can be safely used to clean surfaces even when you’re pregnant.
- You can handle baking soda without worrying about its effects. It causes no harm when it interacts with your skin.
- You can use it by spreading the powder on rugs and carpets before putting it out in the sun or vacuuming it.
- Tabletops and kitchen platforms can look sparkling clean using baking soda and water paste.
Baking Soda In Cooking
After all, baking soda is a common item in kitchens. You might use it for baking even if you are not taking it as medicine.
- Baking soda can be used in cooking, as it is completely safe.
- It might not have a negative effect if combined with other compounds.
- Be mindful of the quantity and frequency of your consumption.
Do Professionals Recommend Using Baking Soda in Pregnancy?
Despite the aforementioned, experts advise against using baking soda when pregnant or nursing. This is because there isn’t enough scientific evidence to completely rule out any potential hazards to the mother’s and baby’s health.
This includes taking bicarbonate-containing antacids, which can lead to fluid retention and raise blood pressure due to their high sodium content. Remember that preeclampsia, a condition that threatens the fetus’s life, can be brought on by pregnancy-related hypertension, which is a serious condition.
Things to Remember While Taking Baking Soda When Pregnant
According to experts, there isn’t enough proof to justify its use and rule out its hazards, including elevated blood pressure, uncomfortable stomach symptoms, and interactions with several other medications.
Yet, one study connected its ingestion to a higher likelihood of giving birth vaginally. Despite this, a professional should always monitor your consumption. The same applies to drugs containing alginate, sodium bicarbonate, or calcium carbonate.
Reflux is treated with baking soda to lessen symptoms and stop stomach acid from entering the oesophagus. Even if your doctor gives the go-ahead, it’s still a good idea to read the package information and not take the medication for an extended period of time.
Other Options Besides Baking Soda During Pregnancy
There are otheroptions that have been proven considerably safer during pregnancy if you’re looking for gastrointestinal relief without baking soda. Reduce the size of your meals, eat more frequently throughout the day, and stay away from heavy foods, for instance.
1. What Is Baking Soda Bath and Is It Safe During Pregnancy?
A baking soda bath is a warm water bath in a tub filled with baking soda. It is advised to treat a few simple skin issues. Depending on the state of your skin, you may need anywhere from two tablespoons to two cups of baking soda. A 10 to 40-minute baking soda bath is typically regarded as secure. The safety of baking soda baths during pregnancy hasn’t been well investigated. Hence, if you want to take baking soda baths, get your gynaecologist’s approval first.
2. How Does Baking Soda Help to Treat Vaginal Itching While Pregnant?
Baking soda’s alkaline composition confers antifungal effects. Yet, baking soda balances the pH of the vagina, making the environment unsuitable for the germs to live in when used to treat vaginal infections.
3. Can You Brush Your Teeth With Baking Soda in Pregnancy?
Since baking soda is less abrasive on hard surfaces like enamel and dentin, you can use kinds of toothpaste containing them to brush your teeth while pregnant. As a caution, we recommend consulting your doctor when pregnant and thinking of having this ingredient in your dental regime.
4. Can You Drink Baking Soda and Water While Pregnant?
Soft drinks can occasionally be consumed without damage. Yet regardless of whether it contains caffeine, research has highlighted questions about regularly consuming soda while pregnant. According to several studies, consuming more than one beverage per day that is sweetened with sugar or artificial sweetener while pregnant may increase the risk of premature birth.
The impact of baking soda on your health depends on how frequently you eat or use it. If used sparingly, it’s quite safe. But we suggest that you consult your doctor before using it during pregnancy.
Also Read: Apple Cider Vinegar during Pregnancy