As parents, your baby will cross numerous milestones while growing up, and one such milestone can be baby bottom shuffling. Well, if this term is new to you and you wish to know more about bottom shuffling in babies, we suggest that you take a look at this post. In this post, we shall be talking about bum shuffling, how you can manage this condition in your baby, and many other aspects related to the topic!
When your baby is all set to move around, he will make efforts to crawl, but some babies may prefer to move while sitting on their bums. When babies move on their bums, they make use of their arms and legs to propel their movement. It is often seen that babies who begin bottom shuffling usually skip crawling. Also, bum shuffling and late walking are closely related, which means if your baby is scooting on the bottom, then there can be delay in walking. Usually, such babies begin walking around 18 months to 24 months.
Where some babies are fast in achieving various developmental milestones, others may skip them altogether or opt for variants, and bum shuffling may be one such variant. If you are thinking about how common bum shuffling is in babies, well, it is fairly common in babies. Though crawling is something that most parents expect their babies to begin with, as far as movement is concerned. However, it is surprisingly common for babies to opt for this alternative instead.
Though it is common for babies to scoot and not crawl, however, it is important to understand that there may be underlying reasons for the same. Following are some factors that may make babies do this:
Here are some neurological factors:
Sometimes, environmental factors may lead to bottom shuffling and the following are some environmental causes:
Though there are no major complications that may affect your baby, the following are some drawbacks that you may notice:
Before you begin helping your kid, it is important to understand that bum shuffling is very normal, and you can adopt various measures to help overcome the habit of your munchkin. Here are some ways in which parents can help their children:
Sometimes bum shuffling may remain the main choice of your baby’s movement until he starts walking. Do not worry or panic. The best you can do is help your kid get some crawling experience. Parents may sometimes fear because there are beliefs that bottom shuffling may lead to other complications. If you notice any of the below symptoms in your little one, it will be best to get in touch with your doctor as soon as possible:
Sometimes the reasons for bum shuffling are very common, but sometimes there may be underlying complications like autism. Therefore, if you notice any such changes in your baby, you should get in touch with your doctor and get the required help.
1. Normal Variation In Development – Bottom Shuffling; Fife Health & Social Care Partnership; https://www.nhsfife.org/media/33208/nhs-fife-normal-variation-in-development-bottom-shuffling-2020.pdf, May 2020
2. Okai, Y., Nakata, T., Miura, K., Ohno, A., Wakako, R., et. al.; Shuffling babies and autism spectrum disorder; Brain Dev – PubMed; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32878720/, February 2021
3. Rebecca Shelton; Bottom Shuffling Babies; University Hospitals Dorset – NHS Foundation Trust; https://www.uhd.nhs.uk/uploads/about/docs/our_publications/patient_information_leaflets/Childrens_therapy/Bottom_shuffling_Babies.pdf, February 2021
4. Shuffling Babies: Babies who don’t crawl – Projects; Child Research Net; https://www.childresearch.net/projects/health/2016_01.html, July 2016
5. Okai, Y., Nakata, T., Miura, K., Ohno, A., et. al.; Shuffling babies and autism spectrum disorder; Brain and Development; https://www.brainanddevelopment.com/article/S0387-7604(20)30221-7/pdf, Fenruary 2021
This post was last modified on February 17, 2023 4:26 pm
Writing an essay is like embarking on a journey of discovery, especially for school kids.…
When we think of journeys, the image of a bustling railway station often comes to…