15 Weeks Pregnant With Twins or Multiples
Every article that we publish, confirms to stringent guidelines & involves several levels of reviews, both from our Editorial team & Experts. We welcome your suggestions in making this platform more useful for all our users. Write in to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Growth of the Babies at 15 Weeks
- The Size of the Babies at 15 Weeks
- Common Bodily Changes at 15 Weeks of Twin or Multiple Pregnancy
- Symptoms of Twin or Multiple Pregnancy at 15 Weeks
- Vanishing Twin Syndrome
- Twin or Multiple Pregnancy – Belly at 15 Weeks
- Twin or Multiple Pregnancy – Ultrasound at 15 Weeks
- Twin or Multiple Pregnancy – Diet at 15 Weeks
- Pregnancy Care Tips
- What You Need to Shop for at 15 Weeks of Twin or Multiple Pregnancy?
Mothers who are 15 weeks pregnant with twins are at a strange place in life. On the one hand, you would be ecstatic to have gotten this far with your babies safely inside you and look forward to spending the coming months with them. On the other hand, the focus on their growth and proper development can start taking up a lot of headspace, leading you to stress out unnecessarily. The 15th week of pregnancy is thankfully better when it comes to nausea and exhaustion that gets too hard to overcome. Therefore, it is essential to make the best of this time because higher demands are coming in the latter stages of the pregnancy.
Growth of the Babies at 15 Weeks
Similar to the previous week, the growth and progress of your babies continue to chug ahead speedily and lead to a substantial increase in weight and length.
When the ears and eyes form on the head of the babies, they are usually present on the side of the neck and towards the side of the face, respectively. By the 15th week, the positions of the ears reach the final stage, journeying from the neck to the sides of the head. The eyes attain a proper place on the front of the face, and you can get a vague semblance of what they might look like after they are born.
You are not the only one exercising to keep yourself fit. Your little ones are undergoing their very own unique regimens inside your womb. Nearly all the limbs and movable muscles start getting the activity they need as their muscular strength begins to develop, and the brain tests them out in numerous ways.
An interesting aspect to notice about babies in the 15th week of pregnancy is that their eyes can now sense the presence of light around them. Sure, their eyelids have covered the eyes completely, and there doesn’t seem to be any light inside the womb, but the capacity to sense it does seem to be present. The breathing process has begun, too, with their noses taking in the amniotic fluid present in the sac. This fluid reaches within and helps develop their lungs for breathing in actual air.
The Size of the Babies at 15 Weeks
Twins and multiple babies are always a tad smaller than a single child growing in the womb. Around the 15th week of pregnancy, a baby tends to weigh somewhere around 40-50 grams, with a length of around 9-10 centimetres. With multiples, these values will obviously be a tad less. However, their overall size would still be as large as a fresh orange.
Common Bodily Changes at 15 Weeks of Twin or Multiple Pregnancy
If you feel that you are not looking pregnant as compared to other pregnant women, worry not. By the 15th week of your pregnancy, your belly will be evident enough for many people to start noticing it clearly.
- It is a well-known fact that a pregnant woman’s body experiences numerous changes throughout pregnancy. However, many effects tend to stay present for long durations. A constant thought that revolves around your future life and the safety of your children, combined with the need to urinate often at night and randomly occurring leg cramps, can make it difficult for you to get proper sleep, day or night. This is when many pregnant women tend to look sleep-deprived, and insomnia might strike at the worst possible moment. An absence of rest can make pregnancy a difficult journey for you.
- The increased blood flow in the body also reaches the nasal section. This can cause your nose to be stuffy as well as get blocked due to increased mucus in the nostrils as a result of stimulated mucous membranes. Therefore, you might turn out to be the one in the family who begins to snore at night. It might be a little uncomfortable for your companion, but the snoring isn’t a cause for worry.
- The pricking and jabbing feeling in the tummy will continue this week as well, which is a strong sign of ligament-based pain. The constantly increasing uterus can stretch your muscles internally, making it difficult for you to carry out any stretching on your own. Majorly affecting the area around your groin or the lower region of the stomach, it might be discomforting to quite some degree but isn’t indicative of any serious condition.
- The sensitivity and tenderness that your breasts experienced in the first trimester, causing them to be irritated at the slightest brush, would thankfully take a backseat. Nevertheless, their size will keep on increasing, and the areolas will tend to get darker, too. The swollen breasts might show a few veins around them as well.
Symptoms of Twin or Multiple Pregnancy at 15 Weeks
Carrying twins or multiples in your womb is not an easy task for your body. Although you would be in a much better position to handle the symptoms by the 15th week, there will be some of them that will be quite strong. Let’s take a look at some common 15 weeks pregnant with twins symptoms:
- Blame those elevated hormone levels for relaxing your digestive muscles and causing your separation valves not to function effectively. There will be moments when you are bloated or sometimes, end up passing gas randomly and suffer from heartburn at night. If this continues even after you have regulated your meal consumption and adjusted your diet, your doctor might be able to help you out.
- The increased volume of blood is combined with the enhanced production of blood vessels to cater to the needs of growing babies. This also indirectly ends up elevating your blood pressure, which can push blood into the nasal region, resulting in occasional nosebleeds. Such bleeding can occur in your gums as well since they are more sensitive than before. Be warned that this could react with the bacteria in your mouth and cause gingivitis. Thankfully, they don’t cause pain and are generally harmless, but they need to be treated immediately and can be easily prevented by brushing your teeth properly.
- A lack of exercise regimen that you were used to, combined with the uterus pushing your diaphragm, can make you breathless at the smallest activity you conduct. This would be even more evident when you engage in some sexual activity with your partner. There’s no need to pull back your sex drive, and adjusting your positions can make the entire act easier and pleasurable for you.
- If you are having twins at 15 weeks, you may come across swollen and bleeding gums in this period. increased hormonal activity in the body can unsynchronise the bacterial flora in the mouth and trigger gingivitis. You may also come across small bumps on the gums. In this case, it is best to consult your doctor.
- With your baby getting bigger and pushing upwards, preventing lungs from operating at full capacity, you may experience breathlessness often.
Vanishing Twin Syndrome
As scary as this name sounds, it is a possible condition that is generally observed in 20 per cent of pregnancies that involve multiple babies. Although mentioned for twins, it could happen in the case of triplets or more babies, too. What it describes is a scenario where the pregnancy was earlier diagnosed to have more than one child. But as the term approaches 15 weeks of completion, one of the babies might seem to have disappeared and wouldn’t be visible in ultrasounds anymore. This rarely causes any complications for the woman or the existing baby, and the pregnancy can continue unabated, apart from a small disappointment for the parents.
Twin or Multiple Pregnancy – Belly at 15 Weeks
The belly size varies across women in various ways. Mothers pregnant with triplets might have smaller bellies as compared to the ones with twins. Nevertheless, that should never be a means to compare the healthiness of your little ones. Most stomachs tend to increase in roundedness, while the waistline might not grow as much.
After the 15th week, the belly growth picks up pace, and changes can be observed quite clearly. The dark line running over your stomach can get more pronounced, too.
Twin or Multiple Pregnancy – Ultrasound at 15 Weeks
The 15-week twin ultrasound usually pairs itself with a bunch of medical tests to rule out further issues that might affect you or your babies in the upcoming weeks of pregnancy. Genetic disorders are also diagnosed around this time, but apart from that, you can enjoy watching your babies move around in the womb. If you would like a moment, you can ask for your healthcare for 15 weeks pregnant with twins pictures from ultrasound.
Twin or Multiple Pregnancy – Diet at 15 Weeks
Nutrition stays of paramount importance even in the 15th week. Fruits, dairy products, cereals, eggs, and rich green leafy vegetables have to be included in the diet without fail. Opt for products that are rich in Vitamin E since those can play a vital role in giving the placenta the strength it needs. Various nuts and seeds or supplements can be used to get the appropriate quantity.
Pregnancy Care Tips
Taking good care of yourself doesn’t have to be too complicated. A few tips here and there can be enough to keep yourself safe.
- Remember to make a note of any medical tests that you need to get done during your ultrasound.
- Engage in conversations with your baby, and start creating a bond early on with each one of them.
- Exercise moderately. Walking is also good for the health.
- Stay hydrated.
- Avoid undergoing intense exertion. It can further contribute to your insomnia.
- Don’t let the anxiety of your pregnancy get to you. Relax and listen to soothing music.
What You Need to Shop for at 15 Weeks of Twin or Multiple Pregnancy?
Now that you have begun showing your bump, it is necessary to make some purchases for your comfort. Below are some suggestions you can consider as per your comfort:
- Going for some cute maternity gowns that can work with the season can be excellent shopping therapy.
- A trip to the supermarket to buy organic fruits will help support your health, too.
- Breasts are sensitive and swollen at this time. they need space to grow. Investing in bra extenders can be a wise choice for continuing your current comfortable bras, or you can buy some maternity bras that will last you long till nursing.
- Body aches and being pregnant with twins at 15 weeks are no joke. Magnesium bath salts are popular for relieving body aches. Do consult your doctor before buying this.
- You will never regret the purchase of a pregnancy pillow. As you get bigger, you will need good support in bed for a good night’s rest. A pregnancy pillow will ensure you have one.
- Maternity leggings are a smart purchase for comfort.
- With twins at 15 weeks in the womb, getting into old body-hugging dresses would be a question. Trying comfortable and stylish maternity dresses will be worth the buck.
Taking good care when you are 15 weeks pregnant with twins or multiples is quite necessary. All it requires is a calm mind and faith in the journey your body is taking you on. Know that you are not alone in this, and your kids are banking on you as well.
1. Pregnant with twins; raisingchildren.net.au; https://raisingchildren.net.au/pregnancy/health-wellbeing/twin-pregnancy/pregnant-with-twins
2. Twin pregnancy: What twins or multiples mean for mom; Mayo Clinic; https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/pregnancy-week-by-week/in-depth/twin-pregnancy/art-20048161
3. Being pregnant with twins, triplets and other multiples; March of Dimes; https://www.marchofdimes.org/find-support/topics/pregnancy/being-pregnant-twins-triplets-and-other-multiples
4. Vanishing Twin Syndrome; American Pregnancy Association; https://americanpregnancy.org/healthy-pregnancy/multiples/vanishing-twin-syndrome/
Previous Week: Twin Pregnancy Week 14
Next Week: Twin Pregnancy Week 16