Many kids do find it difficult to grasp the core principles of maths, which ends up making it too boring for them or simply refuse to put in the effort. Mathematics tricks for kids can help them understand those techniques, boost their calculation skills, and even surprise a few people with their seemingly magical abilities.
Simple Maths Tricks for Children
Use these simple tricks to build your kid’s interest in maths.
1. Calculating the Square of any Number that Ends with the Digit 5
Calculation of squares is a tough task. But for the set of numbers that end with 5, this can be quite easier than before.
- Let’s take the number 95 and attempt to find its square.
- As per the trick, start by writing the last two digits of the answer, which is 25 (the last two digits of the square of any number that ends with a 5 is 25).
- Now, the first digit in 95 is 9. The number that follows 9 is 10.
- Multiply 9 and 10 to get the answer, which is 90.
- Write 90 in the prefix of the 25 we already wrote as the answer. This makes the complete solution is 9025.
2. Easily Finding the Answer to any Number Multiplied by 11
Most children do end up memorizing the multiplication tables up to 10. But this can be taken one step further by knowing how to quickly multiply with 11 as well.
- Let’s try multiplying 45 with 11.
- Separate the digits, 4 and 5 with a space between them, such as 4 [ ] 5.
- Now, carry out the addition of the two digits in the centre, such as 4 [4+5 = 9] 5.
- That’s your answer. 45 x 11 = 495.
- If the sum happens to be a two digit number, such as with 56, which yields 5  6, simply add the tens place of the sum with the first digit.
- This would then be [5+1 = 6]  6, making the answer as 616.
3. Multiplying any Number Quickly by 9
In more multiplication tricks, multiplying any number by 9 can be even faster.
- Take a large number such as 754.
- To multiply this with 9, simply add a 0 at the end and subtract the original number.
- That makes it 7540 – 754 = 6786. That’s how quick it is!
4. Speed Multiplication Even when Doing it with 15
It might be easier with single digits. But what if you could multiply just as fast with 15 as well? Here’s how.
- Let’s try multiplying 79 with 15.
- Add a zero to the end of the number, making it 790.
- Divide it by 2, giving the answer as 790 / 2 = 395.
- Add those two numbers, which would be 395 + 790 = 1185.
- Verify it with the calculator, too.
5. Adding 2-Digit Numbers at Extremely Fast Lightning Speed
By understanding the basic principles of tens and units places, you can add 2-digit numbers literally in a snap.
- Take 57 + 79.
- Split the second number into tens and units, making it 79 = 70 + 9.
- Finish up the tens addition, which is 57 + 70 = 137.
- Now add the remaining units place digit, which is 137 + 9 = 146. That’s it, you’re done.
6. The Answer for Anything Would be 37
A cool magic trick that makes the answer 37 every time.
- Choose a 3 digit number with same digits. Let’s go with 333.
- Add the digits together. So, 3 + 3 + 3 = 9.
- Divide the original number with this sum. So, 333 / 9 = 37.
- This works every single time.
7. Be it Large or Small, You will Always Reach Eight
A step up from the previous one, this works on choosing any number at all.
- Let’s choose the number 53.
- Subtract 1 from it, so 53 – 1 = 52.
- Multiply by 3, so 52 x 3 = 156.
- Add 12 to it. So, 156 + 12 = 168.
- Divide this by 3. So, 168 / 3 = 56.
- Add 5 to this answer and subtract the original number. So, 56 + 5 – 53 = 8.
8. Multiply Quickly by Breaking Down Numbers
Multiplication is nothing but a combination of multiple additions.
- Let’s try 14 x 12.
- So, 14 = (2 x 7), which makes the problem as 2 x 7 x 12.
- 7 x 12 = 84. Now 84 x 2 = 84 + 84 = 168. Quick answer is here.
9. Making a 5-Digit Number Repeat in Succession
This is an interesting trick for your kid that uses a calculator. Multiplying any 5 digit number with 11 and 9091 will yield an answer that repeats in succession.
- Let’s choose the number 12345.
- Multiplying it by 11 will give us the answer as 12345 x 11 = 135795.
- Now, take this answer and multiply it with 9091 to get the answer 135795 x 9091 = 1234512345.
- This answer is literally the number 12345 repeated twice.
10. No Matter What you do, The Answer will be the Same
This is the magic of the number 1089. By making use of specific calculations, no matter what 3-digit number is chosen, the answer will always turn out to be 1089. Here’s how.
- Let’s choose the number 537.
- Now the digits need to be rearranged in a descending order, 753. This is your first number.
- Rearrange the same digits in the ascending order, 357. This is your second number.
- Subtract the second from the first, which will give us the answer, 753 – 357 = 396.
- Now reverse the order of digits of the answer to getting the number, 693.
- Let’s add both numbers, 396 + 693 = 1089, which we already knew.
11. Ensuring that Specific Digits will Always be Present
You can surprise your friends with your mental skills by telling them to follow some calculations, while you will tell them that the answer will only contain the digits 1,2,4,5,7 and 8 in any order.
- Start by choosing any number between 1 and 6. Let’s take 3.
- Multiply it by 9. 3 x 9 = 27.
- Multiply the answer by 111, 27 x 111 = 2997.
- Multiply that answer with 1001 , 2997 x 1001 = 29,99,997.
- Divide this answer by 7, which yields 2999997/7 = 428571.
12. Bringing you Back to Square One
This is a magic trick that can start from two digits and bring you back to them through an entire series of calculations.
- Let’s choose the two digits as 2 and 7.
- Pick one of those and multiply by 2. So, let’s choose 2. That makes 2 x 2 = 4.
- Add 5 to the answer. So, 4 + 5 = 9.
- Multiply that answer by 5. So, 9 x 5 = 45.
- Now, add the other digit you had chosen to this answer. So, 45 + 7 = 52.
- Subtract 4 from that answer. So, 52 – 4 = 48.
- Subtract 21 from the final answer. So, 48 – 21 = 27. These were the original digits, to begin with.
13. You will Always Return to the Phenomenal Fifteen
Yet another trick that makes you return to the number fifteen no matter what number you choose.
- Let’s pick a number such as 279.
- Multiply it by 3. So, 279 x 3 = 837.
- Now add 45 to the answer. So, 837 + 45 = 882.
- Multiply that answer by 2. So, 882 x 2 = 1764.
- Divide this answer by 6. This will give you 1764 / 6 = 294.
- Subtract your original number from this answer.
- That makes it 294 – 279 = 15. Surprising, right?
14. The Final Destination is Always 6174
The number, 6174, is termed as having magical properties. If you keep subtracting a 4-digit number in a specific way, you will always reach 6174
- Let’s choose the number 1084.
- Every number we reach, the goal is to rearrange the digits to form the highest possible number and the lowest possible number and subtract the two.
- So, the largest number is 8410 and the lowest is 0148.
- The subtraction yields 8410 – 0148 = 8262.
- Largest with this is 8622 and lowest is 2268. Subtraction, 8622 – 2268 = 6354.
- Largest is 6543 and lowest is 3456. Subtraction, 6543 – 3456 = 3087.
- Followed by 8730 – 0378 = 8352.
- Finally, 8532 – 2358 = 6174. We’re here.
15. Guess the Age as Well as the Change
A fantastic math trick can surprise your friend in guessing his age as well as the change he has in his pocket.
- Let’s assume your friend is 8 years old and he has two 5 rupee coins and four 2 rupee coins, bringing his total change to 18 rupees.
- Ask your friend to multiply his age by 2. So, 8 x 2 = 16.
- Add five to the answer. So, 16 + 5 = 21.
- Multiply this answer by 50. So, 21 x 50 = 1050.
- Subtract 365 from that answer. So, 1050 – 365 = 685.
- Ask your friend to add the total value of the change to this answer. So, 685 + 18 = 703.
- Add 115 to this answer. So, 703 + 115 = 818.
- Look at this answer. The last two digits are the amount of change he has, and the first two digit is his age.
Put an end to your child’s math related misery with these easy-to-understand mathematics tricks and make him fall in love with the subject of numbers. These mathematics tricks can boost your child’s calculation skills and help him comprehend those hard-to-grasp concepts. Finding solutions to (maths) problems daily, your little kiddo may even become logically intelligent. While focusing on logic, you can ensure that his other talents develop simultaneously as well! Get your hands on monthly subscription boxes that are created to hone all-round skills.
Mental maths tricks for kids are used in multiple areas of science and technology and even in competitions as well. Even if your child doesn’t aim to participate, learning these tricks can help him ace his exams easily, too.