In this Article
Insomnia is a very common illness linked to pregnancy but it should not be left untreated for long. Chronic insomnia during pregnancy tends to cause depression in to-be-mothers. So, there are a number of safe sleeping pills available in the market if you are thinking to go for a medicinal alternative.
Types of Sleeping Pills
There are many types of sleeping pills available in the market but there are few of them that have addictive properties:
|Sleep Medication||Helps you fall asleep||Helps you stay asleep||Can lead to dependence|
|Zolpidem (Ambien, Edluar, Intermezzo, Zolpimist)||Yes||Yes|
|Zolpidem extended-release (Ambien CR)||Yes||Yes||Yes|
This table shows you which medication makes you fall asleep or helps you to stay asleep and which ones are addictive. Some people can sleep, but they have a problem staying asleep as they get up regularly and ultimately they are sleep deprived. So choosing the one that is best for you is little tough so it is always better to take the suggestion from a Doctor.
Factors Affecting Sleep in Pregnant Women
There are many factors that affect sleep patterns in pregnant women. These factors can be easily eliminated when caught early on in their inception. The main factors are:
- Congested feelings
- Alcohol usage
- Uncomfortable position
- Drinking excess water before sleep
- Uncomfortable nightwear
Is it Safe to Take Sleeping Pills during Pregnancy?
Sleeping pills are not recommended for longer durational use for anyone. But if a pregnant woman is suffering from insomnia then antihistamines, diphenhydramine and doxylamine are considered to be safe. These drugs are found in Benadryl and can induce sleep.
Risks and Side Effects of Taking Sleeping Pills When Pregnant
Sleeping pills and pregnancy do not go well hand in hand. That is the reason why sleeping pills recommended by doctors are very rare and under extreme conditions only. Other prescription drugs like barbiturates are not recommended. Links have been found to birth defects and barbiturates, benzodiazepines etc., so prolonged use of prescription sleeping pills are not at all recommended even by doctors during pregnancy.
Home Remedies for Better Sleep
There is a list of home remedies for better sleep and it has health benefits too for you as well as the foetus:
- Spacious Bedroom: The bedroom should be spacious and airy. Do not turn on the air conditioners for a long duration. Instead, use electric fans to make the room airier because foetuses develop faster in fresh air.
- Wearing Comfortable Nightwear: Pregnant women should wear big and comfortable nightwear primarily made out of cotton so that it absorbs sweat and is airy. Tight or congested clothes at night can disturb you in your sleep. Hence it disrupts your sleep patterns and can lead to insomnia.
- Bathing Before Sleeping: It is generally suggested to take a bath in 35 to 38 degree C water or soak your legs in warm water before going to sleep as it helps in reducing stress, relaxing the muscles, and has a nice psychological effect before sleep.
- Avoid Drinking Alcohol: Drinking alcohol makes your nervous stimulated and keeps it in an excited state which is not good for a sound sleep. Moreover, like any other fluids, if you consume alcohol in large quantities, then it will fill your bladder and you will have to get up for nocturia which is not so good for your sleep.
- Avoid High-Intensity Workouts Before Sleep: High-intensity exercise should be avoided during pregnancy as it draws out energy from the body, but it should be avoided mostly before sleep. Just a relaxing stroll is enough for the need to exercise before sleep.
- Drinking Milk Before Sleep: Drink a glass of warm milk 30 minutes before going to bed. The nutrients in milk are also good for a pregnant lady as well as the foetus.
- Keeping Balanced Mentality: It is widely suggested that pregnant women should not be afraid or too anxious because that can alter sleep patterns, hence disturbing sleep.
- Gentle Massage: Moderately massaging a pregnant woman relieves the stress of muscles and helps her to relax. Moreover, it is also found that it also relieves mental stress too, encouraging sleep.
- Bit Of Imagination: Imagination of a dream or relaxed moments before sleep relaxes the nerves and promotes sleep faster in pregnant mothers.
- Sleeping Positions: Some doctors say that sleeping one-sided helps in reducing pressure on the fetus as well as the mother, but it is prerogative of the concerned woman to choose her most comfortable position to get better sleep.
Doctors Prescribed Drugs
There are categories of drugs according to their own country’s pharmacopoeia, but basically, it is segregated in 4 or 5 groups so that its efficacy and safety can be measured. Unfortunately, prescription sleeping pills are not kept in the safe zone. Prescription sleeping pills are addictive and dangerous in nature and should be taken under complete medical supervision.
Prolonged insomnia can lead to mental instability. But if you take a little care at the onset of insomnia then there are a number of methods where you can reverse the effects and lead a healthy life. But if you feel that sleeping pills have become inevitable then definitely follow your doctor’s instruction to the letter when it comes to sleeping pills.
Also read: Effects Of Pregnancy On Your Sleep