In this Article
Eating fruit salads while you are pregnant might be your favourite option if you are hungry or if it is merely a craving you wish to satisfy. A combination of flavours in this regard works to your benefit, and including strawberries in your fruit combos can give them an entirely different taste. The tangy and sweet flavour of strawberries is quite popular amongst its lovers but eating it right away may not always be your best option, especially when you are pregnant. A few safety tips might need to be kept in mind.
Can Pregnant Women Eat Strawberries?
When it comes to the point of deciding whether strawberries should be included in the diet of a pregnant woman, then there are no two ways about it. The benefits that strawberries bring to the table are tremendous, and eating them should not be avoided at all.
Nutritional Value Of Strawberry
The nutrients that are present in a single cup of strawberries are distributed in quite an effective manner, to provide an all rounded nutrition choice for a pregnant woman.
|Vitamin C||95 mg|
|Vitamin A||0.0135 mg|
Health Benefits Of Eating Strawberries During Pregnancy
Strawberries are widely available in markets in frozen form. If you are fortunate enough, there might be a possibility to purchase fresh strawberries off the rack. Consuming them helps you effectively get a ton of benefits.
1. Taking Care Of The Heart
Various studies have shown that strawberries contain certain substances that work in the presence of bad cholesterol within the body, and reduce the plaque in the arteries. Thus, consuming strawberries reduces your chances of suffering any heart-related problems and help your stay in good cardiological health.
2. Anti-Carcinogenic Properties
The presence of antioxidants in the strawberries plays a vital role, especially in countering the free radicals existing in the body and neutralising them to protect internal organs and DNA modules from their damage. This also prevents the possibilities from cancer from occurring as well.
3. Better Eyesight
Vitamin A is present in good quantities within strawberries. It works on the cornea and retina of the eyes, strengthening them, and consequently protecting the eyesight, while reducing the chances of age-related blindness or even cataract from occurring.
4. Boosting The Immunity
The levels of vitamin C in strawberries are substantial as well. These work towards strengthening the immunity system of the body, preventing numerous infections.
5. Reducing Effects Of Ageing
A lot of consequences of toxins in the body result in damage internally and causes ageing to proceed rapidly. The various nutrients of strawberries help repair the damage, keep the ageing in check, and let your vitals be optimal throughout.
Delicious Strawberry Recipes For Pregnant Women
The best way to consume strawberries quickly and deliciously is by making smoothies with them. Here are a couple of ways you can get to it right away.
1. Banana strawberry smoothie
This one is a great choice to pair with your breakfast and start the day on an energetic note.
- Put all the ingredients together in a blender and run it until it is consistent and smooth.
- Add a few strawberry slices or ice cubes if you like it chilled.
2. Kiwi strawberry smoothie
If you like the tangy flavour to emerge better along with a boost to nutrition, this one should be your choice.
- Run all the ingredients in a blender and take them out in a glass.
- Use a separate kiwi slice on the glass for better presentation.
Risks Associated With Consuming Strawberries While Pregnant
Although strawberries are usually safe, there are a few scenarios where their consumption might deem it risky for a pregnant woman.
- If your family has a history of allergy towards strawberry, chances are you might have them, too. Any allergy during pregnancy could affect the child as well.
- Eating raw strawberries exposes your body to a variety of bacteria, including E.coli and a bunch of other parasites. These infections could reach the baby via the placenta and harm him.
- Choosing commercial strawberry juices that are not pasteurised can increase your chances of contracting an illness due to the microbes present in it.
Tips To Eat Strawberries
Consuming strawberries is not rocket science. Keeping a few simple tips in mind can help you stay safe and enjoy the taste together.
- Balance strawberries with other fruits and vegetables for a proper nutritional diet.
- Choose to make strawberry juice at home with fresh and washed strawberries.
- Avoid strawberry jams or other treats that make use of preserved strawberries.
- Get your allergies checked by the doctor before you start eating the fruit.
Consuming strawberry during early pregnancy can bring in a lot of benefits, but could expose you to specific risks if the right care is not undertaken before consumption. All it takes is adhering to basic hygiene before eating them, getting a medical checkup in place, and you would be able to gorge on your favourite fruit without worry.
Also Read: Consuming Muskmelon during Pregnancy