In this Article
You are on your pregnancy journey and you wish to do everything in the right manner for the sake of your unborn baby’s health and well-being. The first and foremost thing that you need to pay heed to is your pregnancy diet and nutrition. If you are wondering whether including carrots in your daily pregnancy diet is a good option, then you should read the following article. We shall discuss various benefits and risks of consuming carrots in pregnancy.
Nutritional Value of Carrot
Carrots are wondrous root vegetables which are loaded with various vital vitamins and minerals. The following table will acquaint you with the nutritional value present in carrots.
|Nutritional Value||Per 100 grams|
|Fibre (dietary fibre)||2.8 g|
|Vitamin C||6 mg|
|Vitamin A||5 mg|
|Vitamin B-6||0.135 g|
|Vitamin K||13. 2 ug|
The above-mentioned values are approx values present in 100 grams of carrots.
Benefits of Eating Carrots during Pregnancy
Carrots are the powerhouse of various vitamins and minerals. These root vegetables and can be eaten both in raw and cooked form. Carrots have immense health benefits for you in your pregnancy and here are some of the benefits:
1. Good For Eyesight
Being a rich source of Vitamin A, carrots are very good for your eye health during pregnancy. It not only takes care of your eyes and vision in pregnancy but it is also beneficial for the foetal eye development.
2. Strengthens Immune System
Carrots contain good amounts of Vitamin C, which is extremely beneficial to improve your immune system. Your immunity takes a toll during pregnancy and consuming carrots regularly helps in strengthening your immunity.
3. Helps In Foetal Development
Consumption of carrots is very effective for foetal growth and development because carrots contain ample amounts of calcium, which is very important for foetal bone and teeth formation. The calcium content in carrots is also good to keep the mother’s bones healthy.
4. Helps In Preventing Anaemia
Including carrots in your daily pregnancy diet may help in warding off anaemia in pregnancy. This is because carrots are not only rich in iron but they also contain vitamin C, which helps in absorption of iron by the body.
5. Helps In Relieving Constipation
Constipation is one of the most common problems faced by a pregnant woman. Carrots have an adequate amount of fibre in them and consuming carrots on a regular basis may help you overcome your constipation woes. Carrots also help in keeping your other digestive problems at bay and are good for your digestive health.
6. Prevents Cramping In Pregnancy
Many pregnant women may experience cramping and muscle stiffness in pregnancy. Though these are very common pregnancy problems they can be very uncomfortable. Carrots contain phosphorus in them which aids proper muscle functioning in pregnancy and prevents any kind of cramping.
7. Effective In Managing Gestational Hypertension
Some would-be-mommies may experience gestational hypertension, which can lead to various complications in pregnancy. However, if carrots are consumed on daily basis then it may reduce the risk of gestational hypertension.
8. Helps In Formation Of Foetal Bone And Cartilage
Carrots contain manganese in them which is a vital mineral required for better bone and cartilage formation in your unborn baby. You can pep up your manganese intake by including carrot juice also as there are equal benefits of carrot juice in pregnancy.
9. Helps In Development Of Foetal Nervous System
The adequate amounts of vitamin B and folic acid in carrots are beneficial for the development of your unborn baby’s nervous system and brain development. Consuming carrots on daily basis may also reduce your baby’s risk of having neural birth defects such as spina bifida.
10. Helps In Prevention Of Cancer
Carrots contain beta-carotene which is beneficial in reducing the risk of cancer. Beta-carotene acts as an antioxidant for a pregnant woman and reduces the impact of free radicals in your body thus saving you and your baby from the potential threat of having cancer.
There are many benefits of consuming carrots that you can enjoy during pregnancy for yourself as well as your baby’s health and well-being.
Tips to Consume Carrots in Pregnancy
If you are thinking how you can effectively add this miraculous root vegetable in your diet, here we have some tips for you that may help you to know how to consume and add this vegetable in your diet:
- You may choose smaller carrots if you like the sweet taste of it or else you can choose longer carrots too.
- You should choose fresh carrots for consumption as they are not only crunchier but they taste better too. You may break the tip of the carrot and if it breaks easily then it is fresh.
- Carrot is a root vegetable, therefore it is very important to wash it nicely to get rid of any traces of soil.
- Ideally, you can scrape a carrot but do not scrape the skin completely as most of the vital nutrients are present on the skin.
- Carrots are versatile vegetables and thus you can not only eat them raw or in a cooked form but you can also use them in pureed, shredded or chopped form to make various kinds of cuisines.
Risks of Having Carrots or Carrot Juice while Pregnant
Though eating raw carrots during pregnancy is considered safe and do not pose any threat to you or your unborn baby, however, there are some risks associated with consuming carrots or carrot juice in pregnancy.
Let us discuss what all may possibly go wrong:
- The excessive amounts of beta-carotene in your system may prove to be fatal. If you take more than required amounts of carrots during pregnancy then you may put yourself at the risk of having cancer.
- Carrots are orange or red in colour and thus when you consume them in higher amounts your skin colour may turn pale or yellow. This is because carrots contain a substance called carotene and excessive amounts may cause a skin condition called carotenemia.
- More than required amounts of vitamin A may not be good for your baby’s health. When you consume high amounts of carrots, your body loads up on vitamin A, which is said to hamper or interfere with the foetal growth and development.
- Consumption of carrots may sometimes cause allergic reactions also. It may lead to severe headaches, nausea etc. You may need to exercise caution before adding carrots to your pregnancy diet.
- If you are suffering from biliary tract infection in pregnancy, then it will be a good idea to keep from excessive consumption of carrots.
- Drinking excessive amounts of carrot juice is also not good in pregnancy. Carrot juice in more than required amounts may cause headaches and lethargy.
There is no denying the fact that carrots have immense health benefits for a pregnant woman but the probable risks cannot be undermined. If you plan to include carrots in your pregnancy diet, it is suggested that you consult your doctor about the same. Once your doctor approves and signals you to include it in your diet, you can go ahead and reap many health benefits of carrots in pregnancy. However, make sure you do not go overboard with its consumption as it may cause various complications and side- effects.
Also Read: Eating Radish during Pregnancy