In this Article
- Why You Need 7 Week Ultrasound Scan?
- For Whom is Dating Scan Necessary?
- How to Prepare for Your 7 Week Scan?
- How Long Does Seventh Week Ultrasound Take?
- How Is 7 Week Ultrasound Scan Performed?
- What Can Be Seen on the Scan at Seven Week of Pregnancy?
- Can You See Twin on the Ultrasound?
- 7 Weeks Pregnant No Heartbeat on Ultrasound, Is There a Chance of Miscarriage?
- What if There Are Any Other Abnormalities Found?
- Why Seven Week Ultrasound Can’t Be 100% Accurate?
At around seven weeks of pregnancy, the well-implanted embryo in the uterus begins to diversify and grow its feet and hands. It is a very exciting week for the mother as she gets to see her baby for the first time through an ultrasound scan.
Why You Need 7 Week Ultrasound Scan?
By doing an ultrasound, some of the key aspects are checked, which are as follows:
- It is performed to know the gestational age of the baby. The dating scan performed at this stage is very helpful in determining the gestational age of the foetus.
- At seven weeks the embryo’s heartbeat is detectable in an ultrasound. A proper heartbeat is the first sign of a healthy and live foetus.
- The health of the mother’s reproductive organs is checked to see if they are good enough to support the growing foetus.
- Twin or more pregnancies are also sometimes picked up in the seven-week scan, which is visible in the form of multiple gestational sacs.
- Ectopic pregnancies, where the embryo attaches and grows in the fallopian tube, is also checked in this scan.
- When the last menstrual cycle date of the mother is uncertain, this dating scan is used to ascertain the growth of the foetus in relation to the age of the baby predicted with the mother’s menstrual history.
- General growth of the baby corresponding to the corrected gestational age is checked.
- If there is any bleeding or discharge in the mother, a quick scan is done at this stage to ascertain its cause.
For Whom is Dating Scan Necessary?
Women who have an irregular menstrual cycle or do not remember their last menstrual period date find it challenging to calculate their due dates. Also, women who have conceived while taking oral contraceptives or are breastfeeding do not know the date of conception. In such situations, a dating scan to estimate the approximate gestational age of the baby can be helpful in calculating the estimated delivery date. It is also useful in monitoring the growth of the baby.
How to Prepare for Your 7 Week Scan?
The ultrasound at seven weeks is usually done in two different ways, depending upon what the doctor feels like to get a clear view of the foetus. A transvaginal scan involves inserting the probe vaginally and for that, you need not have a full bladder. However, if it is an abdominal ultrasound, a full bladder is a must, to lift the uterus up and enable the clear vision of the foetus.
How Long Does Seventh Week Ultrasound Take?
The seventh-week ultrasound is a simple procedure that does not take more than a few minutes. The heartbeat is checked, and the basic parameters are measured to either check the gestational age or to measure the growth of the baby. Make sure you prepare yourself with a full bladder in case of abdominal ultrasound, to avoid any further delay.
How Is 7 Week Ultrasound Scan Performed?
The ultrasound at seven weeks is done either transvaginally or abdominally. The transvaginal scan is done by inserting a transducer through the vagina, while the abdominal scan is done by passing the ultrasound waves through the abdomen. The image obtained through the transvaginal scan is clearer compared to the abdominal scan, as the sound waves travel through a smaller layer of tissue which gives a clear view.
What Can Be Seen on the Scan at Seven Week of Pregnancy?
Many mothers have this common question that in the 7-week ultrasound what to expect? Here is what you will notice in the scan at the 7th week of pregnancy:
- The seven-week scan can be quite confusing to decipher, but with the help of the sonographer, you can identify tiny hands, toes, and even nostrils of your baby.
- The baby at 7 weeks ultrasound is just the size of a blueberry and would require magnification.
- Some internal organs also start developing at this stage and can be visible sometimes.
- The highlight of this scan, however, is the heart and the 7-week ultrasound heartbeat of the foetus can be observed.
Can You See Twin on the Ultrasound?
Yes, twins can be identified in the 7-week scan. They are usually visible as multiple embryos or gestational sacs. However, in some cases, identifying the presence of one more baby can be missed as the scan is done much earlier in pregnancy.
7 Weeks Pregnant No Heartbeat on Ultrasound, Is There a Chance of Miscarriage?
The absence of heartbeat at the seven-week ultrasound can be a sign of miscarriage. But there are some factors that need to be considered before coming to this conclusion. The gestational age of the baby can be miscalculated sometimes. To rule this out, the scan is usually repeated a week later to check for the presence of a heartbeat.
What if There Are Any Other Abnormalities Found?
Abnormalities like cysts in the mother’s ovaries and other foetal malformations are usually detected in the seven-week scan. The sonographer checks for the foetal heartbeat, crown-rump length, gestational sac diameter and other such vital parameters. Many times, when you are 7 weeks pregnant and on an ultrasound, you notice no heartbeat, it is a common abnormality. Based on the degree of abnormality, the doctor decides whether to continue or terminate the pregnancy.
Why Seven Week Ultrasound Can’t Be 100% Accurate?
Any scan for that matter cannot be 100% accurate as it a technology at the end of the day. There are certain cases when an ultrasound won’t be accurate:
- When the foetus is moving, it may not position itself in the most convenient viewing position always. Sometimes it can curl up or stretch itself or even turn away from the sound waves making it a little difficult to view.
- The proficiency of the sonographer is very important in detecting any subtle abnormalities.
- The quality and condition of the ultrasound equipment are very critical in determining the accuracy of the scan.
The seven-week ultrasound is a very crucial step in determining a successful pregnancy as it can catch any abnormality early on. The detection of foetal heartbeat and the gestational age are two main observations that are made during this scan.
Previous Week: 6 Weeks Pregnant Ultrasound
Next Week: 8 Weeks Pregnant Ultrasound