In this Article
By this time, your baby and your body have both undergone some changes. While your baby has grown into a fetus from an embryo and formed all the workings of a human being, your body has seen changes such as a rounder structure, firmer uterus, rounder and more sensitive breasts etc. Let’s progress to the next week of your pregnancy, the 11th week and explore the new excitable possibilities in your pregnancy.
Your Baby’s Growth During Pregnancy – Week 11
The 11th week is as fateful as the 9th and 10th week, as your baby looks more like a functional human being. For one, the facial bones of your baby are formed and hardening. The skin, however, is still transparent. Your baby is already starting to wiggle but not enough for you to realize, yet.
You should be able to count 20 fingers and toes by now, seeing that your baby has developed arms and legs that have separated. More importantly, your baby has learnt how to swallow and is of course surrounded by amniotic fluid. The hair follicles are also in place as are nipples, tongue and a nose with nasal passages.
What Is The Baby Size
The baby is as big as a lemon or a fig. So, you can expect to see a 11 weeks pregnant baby size of 1-2 inches long. Since the body of your baby is also strengthening, the torso has also lengthened. Your baby weighs around 7 or 8 grams at week 11. The most interesting part is that your baby’s head takes up most of the formation, with a 1:1 proportion with the body.
Common Body Changes
It’s safe to say that pregnancy changes life, and your body will agree that it will never be the same again. As body changes during pregnancy are inevitable, let’s see what week 11 of your pregnancy holds:
- Though still hard to tell, your pregnant body should have started showing the tell-tale signs of a bigger bump than during week 10.
- For ladies who like curves, your body during pregnancy will certainly please you, with rounder features.
- For the lucky ones, you may have the pregnancy glow that is usually much coveted. However, some women may end up with some pimples or rashes due to the increased production of hormones.
- You have most certainly gained weight and also appear bloated.
Symptoms Of Pregnancy At Week 11
Whether you are clearly showing a baby bump or not, and whether you have had any other changes in your body or not, you will most certainly show the following symptoms during the 11th week of your pregnancy. Examine the list below to compare the symptoms with what you are experiencing.
- Leg cramps: This is probably one of the biggest events of the 11th week of your pregnancy. These cramps will manifest during the day, especially if you continue with your usual working schedule. However, be prepared for some interruptions while you sleep as painfully tight leg-muscles can disturb your sleep.
- Linea Nigra: This symptom is exclusive of the 11th week of pregnancy. This symptom will manifest as a dark line right down the centre of your belly. To put you to ease, this is common and not permanent. Hormonal changes generally attribute to linea nigra.
Apart from the fresh symptoms stated above, the following symptoms from the last few weeks of your pregnancy will continue to manifest.
- Fatigue: No surprises there. As your baby grows, your body will also feel heavier and seek rest.
- Gas and Bloating: As you have seen in the past couple of weeks, your tummy will certainly continue to give you troubles as progesterone tends to slow down digestion.
- Morning sickness and nausea: A few lucky ones might have this under control, but for most continue trouble from both till you finish the first trimester.
- Vaginal discharge: While your sex life is bound to get better if you decide to indulge, invest in some pantyliners as the discharge will continue to increase as the pregnancy progresses.
- Mood swings: Your mood may change faster than traffic lights, and it’s best if you stay away from crowds as stress makes it worse.
Belly At 11 Weeks Of Pregnancy
Most ladies may still be able to dismiss your pregnancy as gas or bloating. Nevertheless, your baby bump must already start to show, at least a little bit. For women who are pregnant for the first time, your belly may not appear to be different. For women who have been pregnant before, your tummy will likely hint at pregnancy.
Of course, it’s the opposite if you are on the slimmer or heavier side of the weighing scales. For heavier women, it might not seem different at all. For thin women, you might show a bit, especially if you have gained some weight.
11 Weeks Ultrasound
An ultrasound scheduled in the 11th week will show you how your baby is getting along inside your belly. The movements of your little baby will be graceful and fluid. Besides that, your baby’s skin is steadily going to become opaque as opposed to transparent. At week 11 though, it will remain transparent.
What To Eat?
One of the most important factors in this period is the concern about 11th week pregnancy food. Read on to find what you must put on your plate in this period;
- Food rich in calcium: Since your baby’s bones have started forming, it’s important that you up the intake of calcium. Milk and milk products should be on top of your list.
- Proteins: Lean meat and fish with a smattering of red meat is advised. Proteins help in the formation of bones and body-mass
- Pulses and beans: These contain easily-digestible proteins and several vitamins
- Seeds, sesame and sunflower: These are rich in vitamins and nutritious oils
- Nuts, almonds and cashew nuts: Packet with protein and vitamins, nuts are a great addition to your diet
- Spinach: Rich in iron and packed with flavour, spinach is a superfood you are sure to like
- Yogurt: A delicious source of calcium, yoghurt is a probiotic which will ensure the balance of good bacteria in your gut
- Fruits and leafy vegetables: Rich in vitamins and minerals, fruits and leafy vegetables ensure all-round development.
Tips & Care
Pregnancy can be challenging and quite frankly, will take a toll on you. Nevertheless, keeping yourself and your baby safe and healthy should be of your utmost concern.
- Drink plenty of water to remain hydrated as well as curb leg cramps.
- Plan a small vacation or a babymoon to relax yourself.
- Be cheerful and read books on parenting to prepare yourself for parenthood.
- Keep your doctor on speed dial so that they can always be contacted quickly.
- Take any medication without consulting your doctor as it could affect you or your baby’s health adversely.
- Suppress your urine because frequent urination is a part of week 11 of pregnancy.
- Indulge too much in junk food as your digestive process is already slowed down due to progesterone.
What You Need To Shop
Being pregnant does not mean you cannot be stylish. Invest in good bras that stretch. You can also buy nursing bras at this stage that will come in handy later. Buy books on parenting that will give you information. Invest in maternity clothes and stretchy pants, preferably in cotton. Stock up on the vitamins and health supplements that your doctor advises. Invest in comfortable shoes that will help with leg cramps and swelling. Do buy good oral care products that can help keep oral problems at bay.
While your baby bump is barely discernible, there are a lot of bodily changes you will have to deal with because of the hormones being produced by your body. The good news is that healthy diet and comfortable clothes can go a long way in bringing comfort.
Previous Week: 10 Weeks Pregnant
Next Week: 12 Weeks Pregnant